Review by bowiefanperson

"Fine addition to the Metal Gear Solid series"

I have always been a huge fan of the Metal Gear Solid Series, with both story and game play. It is a heavy influence on what console I buy. Having beating this game 2 times, I feel it is a fine addition to the Metal Gear Solid series.

The game play does it's best to stay true to the Metal Gear Solid formula. Some things do get switched up though when taking that game play to the PSP. Shooting and aiming remains intact, actually adding the ability to move and shoot in first person for the first time. The actions you perform such as ducking, crouching, and stalking are still easy to pull off. The only bad thing here is the camera. It is too difficult to move and move the camera and move at the same time. Though it does allow you to change the controls, the best scheme will often leave a hardcore Metal Gear Solid fan confused. This of course is moving with the face buttons and doing actions with the D-pad.

The graphics look impressive for a PSP.They try to keep it familiar to the eyes of a regular player of the Metal Gear series. This is successfully pulled off, making it look like a downgraded Metal Gear Solid 3. The absence of blood is a minor disappointment though. I'm not a blood thirsty freak, but when I stab someone with a knife or shoot someone I wanna see some blood from those wounds. The graphics of this game will please any one who is expecting the average.

The story of this game is excellent to say the least. Fans of the game will surely enjoy the story and all of it's plot twists. The characters are so believable and well developed that some moments even stroke a sad emotional chord in me. I feel for these characters as if they were real people. A newcomer to the series may be a tiny bit confused though. It's biggest relation to another game would have to be Metal Gear Solid 3 though. You shouldn't be turned off by this, since this can still be an enjoyable experience even if you haven't played the other Metal Gear Solid games.

Now for the Internet play. I really enjoyed playing in Internet battles with other Metal Gear players. New comers shouldn't be turned away by a rather steep learning curve though. After a few weeks of playing, you should become an average player who can enjoy competing against people and not just get destroyed. Beware of hackers though, they really do make this portion of the game frustrating. You should not take a shot at Internet play until you have completed the whole game. Lag may also come up with some players which may get in the way. Other then those two kinks, I found this a fun experience where I can practice and even learn from better players.

To sum it up, I love this game. Any unsure hardcore Metal Gear Solid fan should go out and get a PSP for this game right now. Those with a PSP should also get this game weather they are familiar with the series or not. You will not regret playing through this game. Plus, the Internet play should greatly extend the playtime of any one with the ability to use it. This game is one of the best, if not the best PSP game out there.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/29/07

Game Release: Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (US, 12/05/06)