Review by kirkinout

"Improvement on the first? Yes. Major changes from the first? No. Worth buying? Yes."

A new Grand Theft Auto game to add to the list. A brief summary: Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories for the PlayStation Portable is Rockstar's second GTA game on the PSP. The story revolves around Victor Vance or "Big Vince" and basically you do mission to make money/ make your way up in the world and all that good stuff. In this review, though I'll try to avoid it, you'll see comparisons to Liberty City Stories to give you an idea of how this game is similar or different

The graphics for this game match Liberty City's game which is understandable. Not too much change from the PSP's first GTA game, which isn't bad considering the first game had some pretty awesome graphics for a portable system. If you've played Liberty City Stories, expect to see the same design in the game but for those who haven't played the game, the graphics and design are pretty well done and exceed what is expected of a portable console. The water physics were completely redone (improved) from LCS and the game tests the PSP's power even further with small improved details such as character density.

Like LCS's controls, the analog nub is very fluid and is very comfortable when playing the game. I actually prefer the controls on the PSP to those on the PS2 but a lot of people have different opinions.

The overall gameplay matches up with GTA Vice City incredibly. The cinematics are superior, adding that extra enjoyment while playing the game. The controls might take a while to get used to, but if you've played LCS it shouldn't be a problem and after time the controls will become second nature. The aiming in this game improves on LCS' in my opinion but is still is pretty difficult and gets frustrating after a period of time, but it fixes itself the more you play. The load times are faster than the load times on LCS but I still feel they could be improved. Still the load times aren't a major problem considering you're playing a GTA game on a portable system.

The story missions are pretty cool. The game added medical missions and other things like lifeguard side-missions. The includes more slums than the original Vice City and adds more gameplay with more missions. The game does include airplanes and helicopters which should please those of you who were disappointed with the lack of them in Liberty City Stories.

Sound: 9.7/10

The voice-acting in the game is a step up from Liberty City stories. The dialogue is much more coherent as the story is linked better than LCS's and the music is a definite improvement. LCS had a pretty poor soundtrack in my opinion which I feel VCS made up for. The sound is pretty great overall and is highly enjoyable.

Replayability: 10/10

The game is very long as with any other GTA game. With a ton of missions and minigames you'll be playing this game for a pretty long time and there's still fun to be had after the game's completion. Even if the missions are completed its still fun to go on a rampage with a tank every now and then and this game is filled with things to destroy so you can play the game to your heart's content,

Buy/Rent?: Buy it. Buy it. Buy it.

Well if it isn't obvious by now, buy this game. Its a fun game to play anywhere and improves on the original version. If you like the GTA games, then by all means spend the $50, its well-worth it. If you haven't really played the game before, I'm telling you its a fun game but you should probably rent it first though I don't think you'll be disappointed. The game is awesome and deserves a 10/10.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/31/06