Review by HMandACFan

"A great game worth your time."

Jeanne d'Arc is a standard strategy RPG for the PSP. It's the best new strategy RPG for the PSP, in my opinion. The main character is a teenager in France while the country is being invaded by England. After finding an armlet giving her immense power, she discovers that her home town has been burnt to the ground by the English. To avenge the death of her fellow villagers, she leads a full-force attack against the English opposition with her newly found powers.

Battle System: 8/10

The battle system is a typical tactics game. In nearly every battle, you have to use a main character and up to six others (or eight in one case). Your party members may then take actions in any order you want to. As long as you fulfill the winning condition without fulfilling the losing condition in the set number of turns, you win.

When a party member takes a turn, he or she may first move, and then either attack, use a skill, or use an item. That character can typically not move again until your next turn.

The graphics in Jeanne d'Arc are amazing for a tactics game. There are also cut scenes that are beyond anything I've ever seen for a handheld system.

Re-Play Value: 3/10

I'd say the game doesn't have much replay value. You can go through it a second time to use characters you didn't use the first time or choose a different option at two certain points than you may have the first time, but I don't see any reason for a third. The game is fairly easy, without much to make it any harder. There really is no re-play value.

Storyline: 9/10

I think the storyline is excellent. In addition to the English invading France, you have to worry about a dark force being reborn and certain demons, called "reapers", that you'll have to squelch. You hear a legend of five brave armlet-wearers that saved the world long ago. Do you have what it takes to find the five armlets and save the world again?

Uniqueness: 6/10

The uniqueness in this game is simply average. After a certain point in the story, you gain the ability to bind skills. This is something that isn't necessarily a new idea, but it's implemented rather nicely. Basically, you can combine two skills to make another skill. Not all skills can be combined with every other skill. In fact, I've found quite a bit that I don't have anything that can combine with them. The storyline is fairly unique, so that's all that matters, right?

Overall, Jeanne d'Arc is a great game. I'd recommend it to anyone that likes strategy RPG's.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 01/03/08

Game Release: Jeanne d'Arc (US, 08/21/07)