Review by jedisnowman

"Neither good nor bad"

Neither good nor bad...

I'm not going to compare the PSP outing of Ghost Recon with its console counter-parts. So what follows is what I think of the PSP version.

There are some good things about this game. Firstly, its well worth playing through. Whether its worth buying probably not. Its more a rental since it shouldn't take you more than 5 hours to complete.

The game controls are pretty much standard PSP shooter set up. O, X, Sq, Triangle to look round, Analogue to move, Right shoulder to shoot, well you know the Socom, Syphon Filter type of thing. You can switch to first person view if you like or stick with the default over the shoulder viewpoint.. It nice to be given the option.

The graphics aren't to bad, but nothing really to make you go Wow! One thing worth pointing out here is the insertion of poor graphics to simulate radio jamming / interference. Surely if you were a ghost and you were loosing a signal you'd take your device off so you should see properly. I don't mind the graphics going all funny when the jamming first happens but its no excuse to have to play a game with blurred graphics.

The story is pretty much, go get them.. we've heard it all before so I'll pass, since to tell you the truth I didn't really pay that much attention to the main story line. I noted the objectives and set off.

The thing which really lets this game down is the poor AI. And when I say poor I mean it. I only got killed once and that was at the beginning when I was still getting used to changing my weapon. Despite the poor AI there are a couple of missions which are a bit more challenging because you have to get from A to B in double quick time to ambush a convoy. It is on these missions I found that the switching weapons just wasn't very smooth. For instance, you rush to a road and you have to take out a couple of grunts and make sure you blow up the lead jeep/truck before it gets away. The problem I found here is when you're under fire switching between grenade launcher and bullets could have been a lot better.

OK I've been a bit critical but I've still given the game 7/10 because its worth playing despite its flaws. Considering how bad Rainbow Six for the PSP this is a real improvement. I suppose we'll just have to wait until the next Syphon Filter for something a bit more challenging.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 09/04/07

Game Release: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 (EU, 08/24/07)