Review by Shogain

"An excellent port of an excellent game."

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is a straight out port from the original game for the Playstation. It features a wider view on the PSP screen, new secret characters, new sidequests, and new battles. It's script has also been retranslated, to old english accent, if I'm correct. The retranslation, in my opinion, makes this game even a more different experience if you played the original on the Playstation. Read on, for more details on about the game.

Story [9/10]
For a handheld game, you'd think the story would be short and sweet, and yes, it is. But it's not short, it's epic, and an enjoyable read throughout the 30 hours of your playtime of the game. It has the elements of Love, Betrayal, Scheming, Friendship, and Evil. The story is about Ramza Beoulve, a hero forgotten, overshadowed by his best friend, Delita Heiral. In the beginning, you start out as Ramza, when he was just a squire, along with Delita. As you advance through the story, you'll find out how Ramza and Delita struggle through the harshness of the world. As you beat the first chapter of the game, you start at the beginning of the end of the first battle you take. As you progress through the chapters, the story's time line advances a few times, which develops the War of the Lions. I shouldn't go any more further, so I won't spoil anything for you. Overall, I'd say that the story is great, and brilliant.

Gameplay [9/10]
Unlike some of the other Final Fantasy games, it isn't a turnbased RPG. It's the other way around, a strategy tactics RPG. It wasn't a bad move from Square. In what turns out to be a different genre of an RPG, turns to be a whole different experience for a Final Fantasy game. First and foremost, the gameplay is mainly about thinking ahead of your enemies, and outsmarting them. In each battle, you shouldn't rush too far, or hold back for long. Instead, you should carefully strategize your moves, and your guys. Your guys level up, and they also acquire JP as you do actions, which you can use for jobs. Jobs are classes you pick for a certain style. For example, such jobs can be Black Mages, White Mages, Knights, Thieves, and many more. As you level up these jobs with JP, you can advance into more different jobs that increases your strategies for the upcoming battles. Whew, now that I've explained all of that, I've pretty much said everything about the gameplay, except for a few stuff in battles, that you'd expect from grid based tactic games. In conclusion, the gameplay is fantastic, and involves a lot of fun.

Sound/Music [7.5/10]
I'll admit, some of the music in the game are pretty good, but the music in most battles don't make up for it. The battle music gets a bit repetitive if you take too long in battles, and they keep looping from start to beginning every time. The good thing is that there's plenty of battle music, so you won't be bothered much. Now, as for the good music, you can hear them in cutscenes, or on other stuff than in battles. Finally, for the sound, it's pretty good. You can hear the screams, the weird laughs, and the effects from you actions. For example, the critical sounds when you do criticals, lightning bolts, burning fire, and a bunch of other good sound effects. Overall, this section is a mixed bag of candy.

Graphics [9/10]
The graphics are definitely some of the best sprite works I've seen in the 2-D universe. The sprites capture the world of Final Fantasy Tactics, and feel of the characters. Each characters are pretty well detailed, and Square did well. In conclusion, there's not much to be said about the graphics.

Final Word -
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions should definitely be played if your a strategy RPG fan, and a must for Final Fantasy fans. If you liked any of the things I've said above, then this game is definitely for you. Just give it a chance, and you'll be hooked on it sooner than you think. Overall, the game is a 9 out of 10.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/05/09

Game Release: Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (US, 10/09/07)