Review by Darksun45230

"Reviewing the Fantasy"

Created in 1988 for the Nintendo Entertainment System, after the success of the original Final Fantasy it was assumed that this would do just as well. The RPG has a long history of platforms in which it has traveled, from the NES to the GameBoy Advance games in which many have enjoyed, and now to the PSP. I imported the game from Japan knowing I can change the options to English so I could play it (of course.) Now I find myself writing this review in an effort to perhaps warn others that this game is not what one might expect.

Story: The opening FMV sequence shows four children running through of burning city; actually it starts with only three. The three children are running from knights with unnatural red flashing eyes. One of them falls and struggles to get up; the other two notices her peril and slow to help her to her feet. The knight's approach and are about to take measures when a knife is thrust through ones head by the fourth child who appeared from nowhere (Square-Enix doesn't show blood though, since the knights aren't human.) They manage to escape from the other knights and even the felled knight pulls the knife from his head and continues its pursuit.

From there you start the game where you are forced into a battle. The knights wipe out the entire party in one felt swoop. From there a mysterious White Wizard revives you and the story begins...

The plot is genuinely good, with enough to keep any player playing the game. I won't lie to you and say it doesn't get dull, because it does. The overall story will test first time players.

Graphics: Monsters and Magic now show a considerable upgrade compared to the GBA versions. Not jaw dropping like some games (Monster Hunter for example) but you'll be able to tell the difference in these too games by their graphics.

Sound: Not my cup of tea, seriously. I focused on the battle and boss music and found myself disappointed. The battle music doesn't do a thing to stand out, not that it might be bad but it lacks what the other games had in terms. The boss music is... unique, because it doesn't sound like boss music at all. If you ever play this game and get to a boss you might understand what I'm talking about, if I had to describe the music in one word I'd have to say: Bizarre.

Leveling: Or lack thereof, you heard me. The leveling system is complicated and to most players a set back from what they loved in Final Fantasy. Instead of Exp, you level up in stats that you use most in battle. For example, if you start the game using spears your skill level will increase after using them during battle. If you use magic your skill in magic will also increase, ect.

I was put off by this; it seemed the game was lacking something valuable. The system was designed so that players would have a wider range of control over the characters considering the free reign they received when they played the previous version.

Gameplay: Like you would expect from Final Fantasy (except the most recent ones) there is a world map and on that map you encounter monsters randomly. They still offer the *get your hands dirty* dungeon crawling, and even more cliched a boss at the end of that long tunnel. Pretty much what you expect from an old school RPG.

Pros:
Leveling System unique
Story is alright
Conversation system allows you "Learn" and "Ask" about certain things
User friendly
Bonus Dungeons

Cons:
Leveling System different
Dungeon crawling is boring after awhile
You're stuck with 3 party members, while the fourth is usually a temporary one that leaves the party.

Overall: If you've never played this game then it's worth a go at, if you don't care about graphics then you might want to try the GBA version if you own it. Though the game is a timeless classic, you might be better off playing the first rather then the second.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 07/25/07, Updated 09/04/07

Game Release: Final Fantasy II (US, 07/24/07)