Review by Tifanity

"Classic games gets their modern time to shine!"

When I read that there was a Castlevania game coming out for the PSP, I didn't think it was going to be good. When the game actually came out and I saw it was a remake of Rondo AND it had my most favorite Castlevania game ever; Symphony of the night, I knew right then that I was going to love this game.

This little UMD, has three full games on it. The original Rondo of Blood, an updated version with 3D graphics of Rondo and Symphony of the night with new additions that weren't on the original playstation. Of course besides the graphics, the two Rondo's play the same and just like all classic Castlevania games, you are side scrolling fighting your way of the undeads until you reach the end and fight a boss. Each boss has their own unique strategy and weaknesses.

The music for Rondo is great. Even the original is pretty good for it's time and it aged pretty well like the graphics. Perhaps the only flaw I have with Rondo is the difficulty is pretty gosh darn it HARD! But because it is difficult, it made me like the game more. It adds a feel of replay value to it because it keeps you trying and thinking of ways to pass the part you are stuck in.

The game is very easy to play, you have your standard attack, standard jump and by pressing up and attack uses your subweapon which takes away hearts when used. There is also the upgraded version of each of these weapons with a touch of the triangle button. However, these take away more hearts than normal ones do.

As an added touch, you can use an extra character, Maria. She is much more difficult to use and the added difficulty can sometimes cause frustrations to no prevail. But, you are able to switch by returning to the main menu. There are some stages where she does better than Richter himself. Other things you can do in Rondo is a boss rush mode which unlocks more stuff, like music and other goodies. Collecting certain stuff in the game unlocks the original Rondo and the next game I will be talking about; Symphony of the night!

SotN was originally released for the PS1 and then later on the Saturn. The difference between the two is that the Saturn added Maria as a playable character. Those that played the Saturn one then the PSP one will notice that Maria is completely different from the Saturn one. She is the same as the Maria in Rondo, which again, makes the game a little more difficult. Because SotN is an oldie, I will be as brief as possible.

You play as Alucard, which is Dracula spelled backward, entering a castle to find Dracula himself. There you wil meet Maria and Richter and basically kill Dracula. The difference between this Castlevania and the others are the ability to do special attacks with proper motion commands, turning into various forms like a wolf, mist or bat and having familiars to help you through battle. Also, the game is explorable, you no longer have stages. Because of this, there are tons of bosses to fight and each are fun to fight.

The music for SotN is simply one of the best orchestrated sounds in a game to date. Memorable music and beats will have you running out to get the soundtrack if you can still find it. With multiple endings which one you need to get is to complete the game while the castle you are in is upside down, Richter and Maria being playable and wanting to get the full percentage of completion, this game has tons of replay value.

In the end, this game is a must buy if you are a Castlevania fan. This is one of those games that makes you glad that you own a PSP. It is highly suggested and if there weren't any slowdown, this game would of got a perfect 10 from me.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/13/07

Game Release: Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles (US, 10/23/07)