Review by lethalbydefault

"I'm a musician, but what is this?"

Now, don't be mistaken by where this game has been placed, being on the PSP instead of being a computer title. This is not a game really at all. It's portable studio for you to make beats and create music. Now, as my title says, I'm a musician, so I figured I would buy this. Unfortunately , this does not suit me at all. I will remain as fair as possible to give you the best review on this contraption, since there aren't any at the moment.

Game Play: 2/10
Again, this isn't a game. Its a portable studio. Though, as one, it really lacks. I have put out about 5 independent cds with my band, so I feel I have enough experience to criticize its ability to create music. First of all, I should mention, if your not into rap, don't even bother reading anymore. Personally I don't care for that genre of music at all, and I was sucked in because they advertised it as a universal musical creator. They have all the write elements, but somewhere it just didn't make a connection. They have drum machines, and a keyboard, and the ability to do recording outside of the built in instruments with a USB headset/microphone. I messed around with this option for hours and couldn't get it to work. Also, while I was trying to get it to work, I couldn't get it to record, and the manual says nothing about in-game controls. Also, I should let you know, that the cover can be a tease. There are none of those instruments on the cover built into the game except the drum machine and the 8 key keyboard. Another thing, theres a horrible pitch control system. When you move the analog stick, it changes the pitch of the instrument, because you can only hit 4 notes total, being X,Circle, Triangle and Square.

If this game is your style, and you can figure out how to make it work, then the sound will be the best of any game, because you created it. Believe me when I say that the best music is the music you create.

Replayability: 8/10
This "game" could last for ever if you wanted it to. There's no story, all you do is create music and export it.

My Overall Score and Final Thoughts:
Overall Score: 3/10.

Final Thoughts:
The reasons I gave this a 3 out of 10 is because its extremely complicated, even for somebody that knows what they are doing. It's not like they renamed everything which made it unfamiliar, all of the tools for mixing and all that I have scene/used in real life. I would really enjoy this "game" if they fixed two problems, the two major problems, the two problems that completely took me out of it: 1.) it's made for rap music only; and 2.) it's extremely over complicated to do anything.

Rent/Buy:
Rent it to see if you can even get it to work. If your not into music, not just listening, I mean creating and recording, don't even bother renting it. Hopefully this review will help you, I searched far and wide for reviews for this so that I wouldn't waste my money, but there weren't any. All I can recommend is do your research on this before you pay the steep price of $35. That is the used price by the way, I'm sure new its still your average $40.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 12/29/07

Game Release: Traxxpad (US, 06/26/07)