Review by _Genesis

"God of War: Chains of Olympus Review"

I was a bit sceptical at first when God of War: Chains of Olympus first came out on the PSP, and I thought I would give it a while before considering to buy it. Then one day a friend of mine offered me the chance to play it, so… I jumped at this chance, and well… played it… And played it for a long time at that. So almost instantly I went out and purchased the game, and I am very glad I did. I thought that God of War on the PSP may have been limited, in the lack of the R2 and L2, but it works well, if not perfectly.

Graphics

God of War: Chains of Olympus' graphics are quite possibly the best graphics I have ever seen on the PSP, and this is very good, considering that the game has been out for almost a year now. They are perhaps even better than the PS2 God of Wars, and now that's an achievement on Ready at Dawn's half, as those graphics were impressive.

As stated a moment ago, the graphics are probably the best on the PSP system, and probably will be for a very long time. I mean, I thought that Crisis Cores graphics were amazing, but seriously… God of War: Chains of Olympus just blew me away… Such great graphics… On such a small screen!! Just how do they do it?! In fact… I don't care! I just hope that Ready at Dawn continue to produce such great quality games, with this quality of graphics.

Cut-scenes will have your jaw-dropping… Sure the main game may have outstanding graphics… But just wait until you watch the cut-scenes… I believe a simple ”Whoa…” will describe your reaction to these scenes, as they did with me.

Gameplay

God of War games have always had an amazing game play factor, and this game is no exception. The game play is exactly as it is on both PS2 games, which again is quite the achievement as the PSP lacks a few buttons the previous two, not including God of War: Betrayal for mobile phones, which I felt may have affected the game play, but it was surprised, and very pleased, to see it work so well.

Combos for the Blades of Chaos are essentially the same with Square attacks being your light, quicker attacks, and Triangle attacks being your slower, stronger attacks. Circle is also used to grab and kill your enemies.

There are also many magic abilities, such as the Efreet, which incinerates the ground around Kratos, and the Light of Dawn, the second magic skill you receive. Similar to Zeus' lightning bolt in God of War One, where you form a lightning bolt in your hand and throw it like a spear… Because… Well, that's exactly what this skill is! You do just as mentioned before, form a small ball in your hand, and you throw it!

The most over powered magic skill, well weapon, is the Gauntlet of Zeus. You get it near the end of the game, but at its lowest level, it is godly. And then upgraded full, it takes as little as 2 hits to kill an enemy.

Story

Ok… To be perfectly honest, the story is probably going to be quite confusing for somebody who has not played a God of War game previously, but a second play through should help with that, and will probably entice you so much so that you wish to play the other God of War games.

And seriously, you should.

Character

The characters are the same as any other God of War game, brilliantly designed and brilliantly characterized. Kratos is still “badass” and as cool as ever, and the bosses and random characters also have cool, unique personalities which help add to the experience.

Sounds

The voice acting is well done, and uses the original voice actors when the respective character appears. The sound effects are also very nicely done, when your Blades hit an enemy or enemy sword, you hear the slicing, The soundtrack utilises songs both Old and New, and adds even more to the God of War experience.

Overall

Overall, I am glad I picked up this game, it is both an excellent addition to the PSP library of games, and to the God of War series itself.

It is quite a short game, and should not take you more than 10 hours to complete it, but don't fret, as there are added extras, as always present in a God of War game. These include extra costumes, such as the Spud of War, and extra game modes, including the Challenge of Hades.

I give God of War: Chains of Olympus a solid 9/10. Great graphics… Great gameplay… Great story and story telling…. All in all, a great game, and I highly recommend you purchase this game if you do not currently own it.

If you are still in doubt and do not wish to rent this game, just at least rent it, it is definitely worth at least one play through.

Final Impressions

+ Amazing graphics
+ Great gameplay
+ Easy to master controls
+ Great Voice acting
+ Good replay-ability
- Quite a short story

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/03/09, Updated 07/27/09

Game Release: God of War: Chains of Olympus (EU, 03/28/08)