Review by tcs76548

"A wonderful installment in the Kingdom Hearts series."

When I first purchased Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, I had some doubts about how enjoyable the game would really be. After feeling disappointed with Kingdom Hearts II and the other installments that followed, I started my play-through with low expectations. However, all previous doubts were laid to rest once I began to make progress with this game. I was pleasantly surprised by the game's involved battle system and touching story. As far as game play goes, Birth by Sleep is certainly a breath of fresh air. The battle system was handled very well, and I feel it is much better than those of previous installments.Simply mashing the attack button and occasionally healing yourself will not prove to be the best method when battling enemies, and the emphasis on abilities and reaction commands creates a more intense fighting environment. The three playable characters, each having their own unique abilities and fighting styles, also adds more depth to Birth by Sleep's game play mechanics.

Since this is an action RPG, the story is a very important part of the game. Birth by Sleep's story is handled very well and is told through three smaller sub-stories. The pacing is great, and it doesn't seem either too short or too drawn out. The character development is very good, and I feel that it s very easy to sympathize with the main characters. As an origin story, it gives players a chance to see how the Kingdom Hearts plot develops from the start without too much complexity. If you're the type who likes to get 100% completion when playing games, Birth by Sleep does offer quite a bit of content. Each character has its own file and progress, allowing players to work on mini games and other side quests across three separate files.

The only drawbacks are actually quite minor. Loading screen times can be a bit too long for the taste of some people, and players may experience slow combat from time to time, but aside from that, the game runs very smoothly. Birth by Sleep is a solid title on its own, and is definitely one of the better games in the Kingdom Hearts franchise. If you're a longtime fan of the series and have been waiting to pick up this game, it would definitely be a good idea to try out Birth by Sleep. If you're like me, and stayed away from this game due to being disappointed with past releases, give it a try, because I think that you'll be satisfied with this game. If anything, Birth by Sleep shows that the Kingdom Hearts series still has a lot of potential. I strongly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys action RPGs.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 10/31/11

Game Release: Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (US, 09/07/10)