Question from AlbinoZero

Tips for Lance/Gunlance?

I've been trying to learn to use the Lance and Gunlance weapons. After several hunts (Rathalos, Blanagonga, Blue Yian Kut-Ku, ect) I am even more frustrated about the weapons then before I started. The guard is almost useless, it takes forever after an attack to put your guard up. 95% of the time i end up getting hit before I can guard. The hop to the side/back (esp. with the Gunlance) is horrible compared to dodge roll other weapons get.

I read up on the FAQs for the weapons as well as the main one here on the site, all of which basically say to guard/dodge then do a quick strike. See above, it hasn't worked for me.

What am I doing wrong?

Technically, you're doing nothing wrong. all you need is to get a feel for it like any other weapon you just picked up. it'll probably take longer if you are already used to another weapon, but keep practicing and you'll get it.

ps: stay away from guards. they should usually be your last resort unless you plan to turtle your enemy.

The gunlace has as more "I'm a f'ing tank!" mentality to me, i get in close stab a few time then fire, if the monster falls WYVERNFIRE! Sharpen when necessary, and dont forget to re-load! Its shield (along with the lance) is huge! It can stop damn near most attacks, but because of there size the lance & gunlace have poor dodging capabilities. The gunlace even more so. But they can be extremely powerful when used correctly...
But i dont use the lance due to no multi monster hitting attacks, the gunlace can due to it's gun attachment. WARNING: The gunlace goes through sharpness fast due to the gunpowder used to fire shells, and use wyvernfire (wyvernfire has a 5 minute cool down).

Sorry the gunlace's Wyvernfire takes less than 5 minutes to cool down, not sure on exact cool down time.