Review by ExcellentNuke

"I got hooked on this game instantly."

Let me start by saying that I started playing the Monster Hero series with Monster Hunter Freedom 2. I found out that Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G was the same, just with added features. Since I didn't even start the elder quests in Monster Hunter Freedom 2, I decided to take a swing at Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G.

I was amazed at the graphics right when I saw the opening cutscene. It looked amazing. When I started fighting bosses for the elder quests, I thought that the boss scenes were pretty good too. Altogether, I thought that the graphics for Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G are really good; however, they aren't the best.

Sound/Music: 9/10
When I put my cursor over the icon for Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, I loved the music instantly. I also loved the quiet sounds played in the field while you went looking for whatever you were supossed to find.

Controls: 10/10
The controls were pretty easy to get used to. At first, however, I couldn't figure out how to jump or climb cliffs and vines. Other than that, I got used to them pretty quickly.

This is the game's real strength. I found the gameplay perfect, despite how challenging it is for me. Most action RPGs (At least the ones I play) can be beaten by simply running up to the enemy and tapping the attack button with some occasional healing. This one is very different. I learned that the game is not just about attacking - it's also about defense. I had to learn how to not tap the attack button repeatedly to do damage. Instead, I had to learn to press the attack button after each attack in the combo just in case I had to roll out of the way.

Replay Value10/10
You can never be finished with this game. You can play for hours and you still won't be able to finish most of the quests. There's also download missions that you can use when you're running out of things to or when things are starting to get difficult. Additionally, even if you've already beaten everything because you played Monster Hunter Freedom 2, there's even more quests that were added. There's also the ability to play online and complete missions with your friends.

Concluding Ideas
This game was, and still is, challenging for me. This is how action RPGs should be. They should move the emphasis from offense and healing to defense, as this game does.

Final Score: 10/10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/16/09

Game Release: Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (JP, 03/27/08)