Review by uhmerikuh

"The only thing that makes a PSP worth having"

I have played the series since MHF. I would like to say that I am fairly decent at this game. I just made a quick review for people wanting to know what the game was like in a short and simple build.

The graphics as far as handhelds go are one of the best. It beats mid-range PS2 games as far as graphics go. The game was very well made and detail was put into a lot of it. Does the game beat PS3 games? No, of course not, it's a handheld system. Does the game beat every other handheld game ever made. Yes.

Sound/Music: 9/10
The music is very well made and fits in appropriately. The sound is good too. The wyvern roars and your sword unsheathing all sound just as they should. It is very easy to get lost in the game. Nothing was left out either. When you go running through the snow you will hear it crunching beneath your feet while your armor is clanking. Does it have any epic soundtracks? No. (although the main tune is pretty awesome) Does the music fit in perfectly? Yes.

Controls: 9/10
The controls are what separate this game from most like it. They make the game more difficult. If the game just had a lock on feature this would be one of the worst games that I have ever played. With that said the controls do take some getting used to. They can be hard to master, but if you don't you will never advance in this game. The controls are what makes most new players quit because of how hard they are to get used to. They still could have been made a little better, but they are just fine how they are.

The gameplay is a real challenge from the get-go. It just gets harder from there on. When you hunt your first foe you will probably lose. This is normal. No matter how good we are at this game now we all started in the same position you are in. Most games like this can be beaten with a very simple combination of moves. Button mashing and healing. This can not be done with Monster Hunter. You need to know when to attack and when to back off.

Replay Value: 10/10
This game will keep your hands glued to your PSP for many hours. You will get extremely engrossed in this game and what is has to offer. You can beat the game so to speak, but, it is extremely hard and will take a lot of work.

Concluding Ideas
You will find this game extremely challenging, but at the same time so addicting. It's the only game I've ever repeatedly gotten my tail handed to me while still wanting to continue. Its a good game. If you own a PSP and do not have it you are insane. It is the only game that will ever be in your PSP for quite some time. The only thing this game does not offer is a decent online, which really takes away from the appeal that this game has.

Happy Hunting

Final Score: 9/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/24/09

Game Release: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (US, 06/22/09)