Review by CheesyPhil

"A great game, worthy of hundreds of hours of your time."

I got my PSP 5 years ago. I picked it up again last week and decided to play it again. Naturally, I wanted to get a new game for it. So I went on GFAQs, and I noticed that everybody said this game was amazing. So I picked it up, and I must say, this game lives up to its legend. It really is an amazing game. It is just plagued by a single flaw. We will get into that later. Anyways, let's got on with the review shall we?

GRAPHICS: 9/10
Simply put, this game looks gorgeous on the PSP. The scenery is magnificent, monsters look both terrifying and beautiful at the same time. The only thing that falls short is that the characters themselves look a bit on the flat side. But, for a game on a portable system, this game is better than most I've ever seen.

CONTROLS: 7/10
The controls of this game can be either great for you, or you can absolutely hate them. At first, the controls are a bit hard to master. You often find yourself running out of fingers to press all of the buttons that you need to press when you start off. However, once you gain the hang of the controls, (Which might take between 5 hours and 20 hours, depending on how many PSP games you play.) it will feel like you've known them all your life. So, if you are a quick learner, the controls will be no problem for you.

SOUND: 9/10
Sound is no problem for this game. The musical pieces that are included in this game are wonderful. They really put you in the mood of what's going on in game. When you are fighting a massive dragon, the music puts you in an intense, pumped up feeling. When you're in a new, unknown area, the sound puts you in a cautious mood. The sound effects are as genius as the music. Never have I heard such realistic sword slashes. Monsters, which come with there own array of noises, sound as deadly as they are interesting. Long story short, this game has a beautiful soundtrack and array of noises.

GAMEPLAY: 8/10
Ah gameplay. The beef of any review. Well, where to begin. This game has a great concept. You are a monster hunter. Your goal is to kill, or trap certain monsters to earn money. Along with that, you will be sent on collection quests, treasure hunts, and just general exploration. You have dozens and dozens of tools at your disposal. You have portable traps, throwing knives, potions, swords, shields, lances, lances that shoot, giant hammers, if I were to list it all, it would probably be several pages long. Basically, you start off from scratch. No money, no armor, nothing. You are then accepted into a training academy, and you work from there. After you finish training, the village elder will start to give you quests. After several or so, there will be an “urgent quests,” which is basically the last quest of the set. Once you beat that, you start a new set. However, there are more then just elder quests. There is also a place known as the Gathering Hall. It provides more quests than the elder, and they are far more challenging. The big thing about the Gathering Hall quests, is that you can play them with up to 3 other friends who happen to have this game. So if you are having particular trouble, you can enlist the help of your friends, and tackle the challenge together. Needless to say, trying to take down a huge dragon with your friends is a blast.
Unfortunately, not all of a game can be perfect. For one thing, the learning curve on this game is EXTREME. Prepare to spend hours and hours trying to take down a massive monster. If you get frustrated easily, than be wary. Another thing is the monster's attacks. Most of them are fine. However, some of the hitboxes on particularly nasty attacks are broken. That means that you might be several feet away from the attack, and you still get hit. However, with this game, the positives far outweigh the negatives.

VERDICT: 9/10
Simply put, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is an almost perfect game. It can give you countless hours of entertainment. Several people I know have played this for 300 hours on end, and have only tipped the iceberg!!! You can spend hundreds and hundreds of hours on this game, and you'll still be hooked by it. The multiplayer just adds to the entertainment. Experiencing this great game with some friends is amazing. I highly recommend this game. The only reason this game doesn't get a 10, is the sharp learning curve, and several frustrating glitches. If you are in the market for a new PSP game, get this.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/03/10

Game Release: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (US, 06/22/09)