Review by bbadnavyseal

""When the Shadow Strikes......Only Death Remains""

Tenchu Shadow Assassins for the PSP...

I was so freaking amazed that they were having a PSP version of Tenchu here in the USA. I have tried so hard to get the European version of "Tenchu Time of the Assassins” but I ended up not being able to get one for a decent price. Then on 3-23-09 I went to the local gamestop to trade in some games and out of nowhere I see that Tenchu Shadow Assassins was coming out 3-25-09. I pre ordered a copy to make sure I got it. Also this game comes with the most recent update for the PSP. Make sure that you update your PSP.

I don't have a Wii but my friend has the Wii version of this game and so far it looks like it's a direct port. From the Intro to the levels, As far as I know there aren't any special additions to the PSP version. I had just started playing so I have not beaten the game yet.

Story: This story is set one year after the events of Tenchu Wrath of Heaven, Lord Godah's Kingdom has enjoyed a brief moment of peace after defeating Tenrai an evil sorcerer who threatened Japan. Rikimaru is sent to investigate a possible war that may break out between Lord Godah and an unknown force. It is time for Rikimaru and Ayame unsheathe their blades and fight for Lord Godah again.

Sound: 10/10- The game has a very nice soundtrack and sound affects. Though the soundtrack is a bit repetitive, though on the PSP without earphones the sound may be a bit hard to hear, so I recommend using earphones.

Control: 10/10- Here I was a bit "Iffy" on how the controls would be. Having been a fan of the old style Tenchu controls I wasn't sure how I would like them. But as it turns out they are awesome controls especially well adapted to the PSP. The controls were very easy for me to learn. Though on occasion I have tried using the "X" button to jump when it's the "O" button (Due to being used to the old Tenchu controls). I feel that the ninja's move like real people. Not like some of the other games where they are running along walls and such. A Rep from IGN said the Rikimaru moves more like a Tank. Though I disagree with him. I feel it produces a bit more realism to the game.

Graphics: 10/10- These are by far some of the best graphics I have seen the PSP produce. The graphics are clean, clear. And at a decent frame rate. The graphics look like that of the Wii though just not as clear. But they are still very good.

Now this is where the game really shines, it has an innovative new system which I am particularly fond of. The stealth kills go into more detail and there is more variety in them. For the most part you use either your bare hands or your opponent's weapon to kill them. It's not just the angle you approach but when prompted which direction you take that determines the stealth kill. I have not yet seen all the stealth kills in this game but I look forward to making sure I do. The game play almost reminds me of Resident Evil 4 as the camera follows behind the shoulder like they did with Leon. And a bit like God of War with the context sensitive commands. Like if I was to stealth kill multiple enemies I may not use the same button more then once.

Now as far as I know there is no secret 3rd character like there was in Tenchu 2, or Wrath of Heaven.

Fun factor: 10/10

I was so stoked to get this game; I was in a state of awe of how everything looked on the PSP.

The replay factor I think will be high as there will be new side missions if you will and the fact that you would want to go back after you beat the game to get the highest ranking on each mission.

This is a game that I would recommend for any Tenchu fan. I rate it a perfect 10.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/30/09

Game Release: Tenchu: Shadow Assassins (US, 03/24/09)