Review by Princess Lynaly

"Best US release for the Saturn."

Dragon Force is a great strategy combat game. It's not near as deep as Final Fantasy Tactics or Shining Force, but it has a style of gameplay that is just as addictive as the aforementioned two. This is another one of those Saturn games that you should immediately pick up if you happen to find it. It's worth the trouble of finding a Saturn system to play it on too. (Lucky I got mine!)

Graphics:

The Saturn flexes it's 2D muscle here and displays battles that the Playstation would have tripped up a bit on. Hundreds of troops fight on the semi-3D battlefield and there is no slowdown at all. The colors are bright and vibrant and the animation is pretty good on the moving sprites. The videos are like all Saturn games in that they are pretty grainy but the artwork is well done. In game there is no voice or video so it doesn't really matter in the end. Overall, this game is a good example of the sprite prowess of this machine and it goes a long way in making the battles more interesting.

Sound:

This game has a fair soundtrack. It's not overly impressive but it gets the job done and one can't really complain about that merit. It's not grating and it's not very memorable either.

The sound effects are average for the most part. Everything still sounds muddled on the Saturn but at least they aren't bad or annoying.

Plot:

It's slightly different depending on which country you chose. I chose the Ninja one (forgot the name) and it was quite interesting. Working Designs did a nominally good job but I still don't consider them the best. I hate the dumb humor in some of their work.

Control:

All menu based commands. Nothing can go wrong here unless the game just up and does whatever it wants. Perfect control scheme.

Overall:

This game is great. I couldn't get too far into it because the battery died in my Saturn and I have yet to get another cause I'm lazy. But just several hours of playing has revealed how good this game is so don't pass up the chance to play it, should that chance come along.

This game is rare now, but try looking in shops that specialize in old games, etc. You are sure to find it but if not then you can always resort to Ebay. This is what I do when I want a game that just isn't around to buy right then and there.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 09/14/01, Updated 04/07/02