Review by HyperBolt

"NBA Jam formula taken to 3D! Marv Albert comes along too."

NBA Jam Extreme is modeled after the NBA Jam franchise done by Midway. In 1993 Midway released NBA Jam, this game featured the most realistic-smash-mouth style of streetball in an NBA arena setting; this game was before the NBA Live series on the SNES and players flocked to NBA Jam because it had the most complete star-studded roster of NBA Players Such As Chris Mullen, Dikembe Mutombo, Spudd Webb, Alonzo Mourning, Tyrone Bogues, Charles Barkley, Scottie Pippen, BJ Armstrong, Hakeem Olajuwan, if that doesn't get your attention nothing will, along with those star-studded player rosters the game featured hidden celebrities amongst those feature President Bill Clinton, Vice President Al Gore, Jazzy Jeff, Heavy D, the developers of the game, hidden modes once you beat all 29 teams such as Juice Mode, Hot Spots, Power Up Icons. The secret modes, items, and hot spots were aded to NBA Jam Tournament Edition instead of having to be unlocked.

3D was taking off in the 32Bit eras, and after the success of NBA Jam franchises, Acclaim bought Midway around 1996, and Acclaim even though they developed the game Midway wasn't involved in production anymore, Acclaim partnered with Sculptured Software and the NBA Players Association to put the players and environments in defining and glorious 3D, we now have NBA Jam Extreme at our disposal.

The game keeps the old catch-22 of "Reinventing the Wheel, while if the wheel ain't broke, don't fix it,"; true to this game. The boomshakalak'ng; he's on fire, from down-town announcer we loved has been replaced by the greatest announcer of our time, Marv Albert. Marv Albert was the first announcer voice I heard when I turned on the Indiana Pacers at Orlando Magic Eastern Conference Finals in 1995; loved him ever since. He brings his excellency to NBA Jam Extreme, he makes game-play all the worthwhile by keeping up with the face-paced action. This game features updated rosters from NBA Jam Extreme with the 1996-97 rosters even the new Houston Rocket and Seattle Supersonic's logo's intact, and the same court designs for the 1996-97 season. This is the only game you'll find Allen Iverson as a rookie in 3D; (aside from NBA Live 96,) and the only 3D NBA title were he doesn't have his cornrows. Kobe Bryant also debuts in his first video game, and he is much of a rookie as Michael Jordan was in his hay day.

The game play consists of Pulverising pushes, hard-nosed offense, and strong defense to outwit and outplay your opposition. It is hard to play at first, but if you keep on hitting your opponent with the ball, and jump-shooting with the ball and then passing to your power-man, while keeping your small player on the outside for a emergency three-point shot you'll get yourself a hard-earned victory. The game also has big-head mode to spice up the fun, this game is one well designed package of fleets that have been accomplished since the NBA Jam franchise began.

7/10