Review by wolverinefan

"A cult classic?"

Nights: Into Dreams is one of the most beloved titles for the Sega Saturn. What exactly makes the game so great? Is there a solid reason behind why everyone is excited for the sequel which was announced for the Wii? What about the tech demo for the Christmas Nights game? No one really counts that as being anythign special, yet it's rather hard to come by at times. Is Nights Into Dreams a title worth hunting for or should you wait for the Wii version to come out? Read on to find out if it's worth hunting a copy down.

I'm really not sure what the plot of the game is. Two small children. Something about become the jester Nights. Fighting evil that takes over dreams or something. I really don't know. It does have some cool looking boss enemeis though. Even if they have no dialog (text or other wise).

The game actually looks pretty good even today. I remember being impressed by the game way back when. It's a little blocky and just a tiny bit under detailed but it all still looks good. One of the better looking Saturn games. The levels themselves have generic themes but otherwise they look good. It's easy to make things out in the background and everything.

The sound in the game is nice. Even though I played this yesterday, the music is still stuck in my head. That's a rare thing in deed. Sound effects are tinkles and what not. Nothing special.

Control in the game is painfully simple. As the children you can jump. It's a single button so it shouldn't cause any problems. As Nights you can performs acrobatic moves. It looks cool and it's super easy to use. I don't have the 3d controller so I can't comment on how well that works but the regular Saturn pad works fine.

The game is split up between two characters. Each character has 4 worlds and each world has four areas. The areas themselves are mere minutes long. And at the end of those areas is a boss fight.

Each area is graded by a letter, as if you were in school. If you fail by the end of a boss fight then you won't unlock the next world. It can make the game tedious but it does make you get better at the game.

The idea of the game is to do Ariel stunts around items to gain points. The points make up your grade, or so I think. Within each area is a big octopus type thing and it requires 20 or so blue orbs. Collect them by repeating the area over and over or actually finding all of the orbs in the area and then dive into the creature. It will then give you a ball to place at the start of the world.

It's a fairly simple concept and while it can be fun to do the Ariel maneuvers, it just isn't all that import. Boss fights on the other hand can really keep you on your toes. They all have special ways of being killed. Be it smashing them through walls or just hitting them over and over. It may sound easy but the game gives no clue on how to defeat them and if you lose, or have the timer run out then you're going to have to repeat the entire world.

The game itself is rather short. Some replay can be had since there are two characters and you could get better scores on the stages. Otherwise only 8 worlds is kind of short when each can be finished so quickly.

Nights isn't the best game ever as some may make you believe. And to be honest I don't care for it all that much. It's a good enough game though but I just don't understand the appeal of such a short and simple game. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had gone in with no expectations. It is worth checking out though because maybe you'll love it and it really isn't a bad game, I just didn't think it was anything special like so many other people have.

Story - 7/10