Review by Dionysus8

"One of the more enjoyable gaming experiences I've had"

NiGHTS is one of my all time favorite games, so I thought it fitting that it would be my first review. It’s a Sonic Team and is Yuji Naka’s special project, kind of like ET to Steven Speilberg. Naka thought up a game where you can fly a few years before the Saturn came out but technology at the time did not allow it.

Graphics 9/10
*The Graphics in NiGHTS are among the best of any 3d Saturn game. The characters look good and the settings you are in are gorgeous. The level design and colorful style help to make NiGHTS so enjoyable. The graphics are not as clear as some of the Saturn's 2d games but, like I said, for a 3d Saturn game they are quite good.

Sound 10/10
*The game’s music is another area where it shines. The music is very fitting; in fact it has a few of my favorite video game songs of all time, including the theme song ''Dreams Dreams.'' It is obvious that a lot of time went into making the music and sound effects for this game.

Gameplay 10/10
*Playing NiGHTS is quite a treat, when a controller is specially designed for a game you know that that controls are going to be awesome. In NiGHTS you fly around collecting little blue chips to unlock the stolen dream energies, called “ideya.” Upon collecting 20 you put them in the ideya capture and unlock the ideya, then your bonus time starts, which is where massive points can be earned. Flying seems quite fluid and very real; controls are tight and easy to learn. NiGHTS is one of those pick up and play games, at heart an action game centered on getting points. If time runs out you turn into Elliot or Claris, the main characters, and can roam the level, collecting blue chips or hatching eggs; you do not control as well on foot as when flying. Playing NiGHTS is never a chore, after playing through the levels you should be able to take on the final level, if you do not get it in the first try you will pretty shortly after. The game itself is not hard, finding out really fast ways to beat the bosses or figuring out how to accumulate the highest score in a level is a little harder. Beating your old score is pretty easy until you get really good, but by then it’s a whole different ball game.

Story 7/10
*The evil Wiseman is stealing dream energy and wants to break into the real world. You are NiGHTS a creation of Wiseman, it is up NiGHTS to help Claris and Elliot overcome their nightmares and recover their dream energy. So in other words, a superficial story, but good enough for an action game.

Replay 8/10
*NiGHTS is one of those games that you think about every so often and just have to pick it up and play it, since it has great music and wonderful level designs and tight controls you will always enjoy playing. Also, Yuji Naka made an intricate A-Life system, sort of like the Chao from Sonic Adventure but not as hands on. The A-Life system still has a few secrets, if you are really good to the Nightopians they will build a shrine of NiGHTS, yet no one knows how this is done. Also you can shoot the bad guys, maren, into Nightopians to create mepians, sweet no?

Overall 10/10
This is one of the most enjoyable games of all time. I find it fun and immersive, a great buy for anyone. If you do not own a Saturn do yourself a favor and pick one up with NiGHTS. EBay always has NiGHTS w/controller for $10-15 US.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/30/03