Review by roadkill

"Truely one of the best games for the Saturn"

Graphics - 8
Graphics are somewhat pixilated, but that's ok, it's the Saturn, perhaps you expect perfection? The battle scenes are pretty cool though. This game features the same graphics of Panzer Dragoon 2: Zwei.

Sound - 9
Great sound. Perfect music score for the genre of game, excellent sound effects.

Character - 6
All great RPG's have great characters right? Well, this one consists of two, the main character and his dragon. It doesn't sound like much, but for some reason, it works. Oh yeah, one more thing, all the characters in this game (human characters) speak gibberish.

Concept - 10
Ok, this is where I judge the concept of the game, the fighting system, the in-depth, strategy, all that good stuff. Overall, the concept is original, I haven't seen this in any other game. You fly around just like Panzer Dragoon 1 and 2, all of a sudden, FIGHT! The fighting screen opens up to your enemy that you must defeat (duh). There's a little radar at the bottom of the screen that shows the enemy's line of sight.
Staying out of his line of sight is most of the time the best thing to do. The fighting is smooth, fluid motion. A perfect 10 on this one. This game ain't all fighting, it has its strategy too. You can stop in towns and buy items, you have certain puzzles to figure out, you can readjust your dragon's defense, offence, abilities. And of course, as with the whole dragoon series, the more you fight, the stronger and bigger your dragon becomes.

Control - 8
Simple, easy, however you want to put it. The controls flow smoothly in the hand (I recommend the Knights controller rather then the standard, very nice). In battles the controls are no different if not better.

Replay - 8
Great RPG, too bad it was one of the Saturn's last games, I believe it may have revived it.

Overall - 9
For this game, I would bring my Saturn out of retirement. Alas, I have spent years looking for this game to no avail (unless I want to pay $75 for it). I hope that they will make a Panzer Dragoon Saga 2 for the Dreamcast, and who knows, judging by how successful the first one was, I think it would be a big mistake on Sega's part not to make a sequel or at the very least make a Dreamcast translation of this phenomenal game.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/25/00, Updated 05/25/00