Review by BiohazardNL

"The classic PC FPS on a Sega console... is it any good?"

I first played Duke Nukem 3D on the PC. It had quite a simple story: Aliens have taken over the world, and it is Duke's job to save the world. Now that story doesn't sound too original, does it?

Duke Nukem 3d was never popular for it's storyline, actually I don't know any FPS games with a interesting story apart from Half-Life. Duke Nukem 3d was mainly popular for the main character, or rather his so-called ''humourous remarks''.

When the game first appeared everybody was playing the game because of Duke's remarks, such as: '' Hail to the King Baby'' or ''Those alien bastards are gonna pay for shootin' up my ride''.

Now, I was never a big fan of First Person Shooters on consoles (Turok, Halo etc.). But when I saw Duke 3d Saturn version at a gameshop for not too much money, I thought I would give it a try, also because I liked the PC version so much. It was most certainly not a disappointment.

In many ways, the Saturn version of Duke Nukem 3d is a lot like it's PC brother. A lot of the items can be found on the same places as the PC version. But on some areas the Saturn version differs.
Some locations are somewhat different, i.e. More or less enemies, other items and more like that.

Also, the graphics were NOT updated at all. The graphics were still the same as the PC version. You could say “if it aint broken, don't fix it”, but since the PC version was released several years before the Saturn version you would have expected a graphical update.

The sound however is pretty good. The music is well-spread, so you dont listen to the same track over and over again. Also the sound effects like weapons and Duke's voice is done quite well.

Opposite to what I would expect, the controls for Duke Nukem 3d were surprisingly easy. I could control Duke pretty good from the second level. I think you'll get used to the controls pretty fast.

There are not may FPS games to compare Duke 3d to (except for Quake/Exhumed), but Duke 3d compares quite well with those games. And I did not even mention Doom, which was a truly horrid game on the Saturn...

And then there's the mini-game! If you have a saved game of either Quake or Exhumed/Powerslave, then you can get access to a cool mini-game Deathtank Zwei. I had a lot of fun playing this game with several friends, as Duke 3d is compatible with the multiplayer-adapter.

All in all I would say Duke 3d is probably the best FPS game on Sega's Saturn. If you can get this game for a reasonable price (around $15), you would do good to buy the game.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 09/09/02, Updated 09/09/02