Review by revolver

"What can I say other than this is the best game ever"

Guardian Heroes is a game from the famous Japanese company treasure. They have made great games like Gunstar Heroes, Radiant Silvergun, and Sin and Punishment. Guardian heroes is a 2d, sidescrolling action/RPG. It pushes the saturn to it's limits, and is my favourite game for the system, both in it's single and multiplayer modes.

Gameplay:
Guardian Heroes is a sidescrolling fighting game like Streets of Rage or Final Fight. The difference is that it's better than both of those games put together, Guardian Heroes integrates RPG elements like stat building and magic. There are 45 characters to choose from, each with different magic and abilities. Some have next to no magic, but awesome attacks, and others have excellent magic, but bad attacks. A great part of this game that really increases replay value is that there is about 50 different routes to take throughout the whole game. This makes for many different endings. You can play through the story mode with a friend, too. Another great feature is the multiplayer. If you have a multitap and six controllers, you can play a six player battle. You can set up teams, stats, and computer controlled players. There are 40-50 fighters to choose from in multiplayer. This makes for interesting fights, especially when everyone chooses random characters since they are so varied.

Graphics:
Even though it is all 2d, the graphics are really good. All of the characters are very big and well animated. During many of the fights, there are about 20 huge sprites fighting it out on screen. In addition to that, there is a lot of magic going on too. The only downfall is that your characters look a bit blocky when they're close to the screen, but it's no big problem unless you're an idiot. The other problem is some slowdown, but it usually only occurs in story mode with 2 players using magic at the same time.

Sound:
All of the music in this game is top notch. It is streamed off the cd, so it sounds great. The best thing is you can pop it into your cd player and listen to every single music track. The sound effects are very good, but they can be a little repetetive sometimes.

Overall:
This game kicks every type of ass there is. It's pretty rare, but I'd pay a lot if I didn't already own it. It's probably my favourite game of all time.

10/10