Review by unicice

"Bring life to your Saturn!"

This is my first game review, and what game could be more proper for the occasion than Treasure's Guardian Heroes! Guardian Heroes is even more underrated than the Sega Saturn, and that's an understatement! If you want a truly breathtaking gaming experience to remember always, get this game. I have had this game for about four consecutive years. It never begins to bore me. From time and time again I continue to come back to this amazing game. I promise you that if you obtain this game, you will have no regrets. Now it's times for the good stuff...

Story - 10/10 - Before you get the chance to experience the greatness of this game, you get the chance to witness this game as an Anime! With a spectacular opening song and phenomenal Anime graphics, this is a brilliant introduction to one of the greatest games of all time. After viewing a miraculous opening, it's now time to play the game!

Story mode - This is probably the best mode to select when first playing the game (you'll find out why later). The selectable characters are as follows:

Han Samuel (or Samuel Han): Seemingly the best choice for those that are new to the game. Han excels in strength and strength alone. Han does have 1 magic attack though - a homing fireball, but seeing how most story mode characters also have this spell, it's nothing special. Han's strength combined with some very impressive techniques make him one of the most formidable opponents in the entire game.

Randy M. Green: Ah, A true sorcerer, boasting a HUGE amount of magical power makes up for what Randy lacks in strength. And of course, he's got Nando. Nando is a small fuzzy rabbit (from what I can tell) that follows his master Randy everywhere. Along with Randy's endless power in magic he has a furry little rodent with a fiery attitude. If you press B & C simultaneously Randy literally manipulates his little friend into a fiery bullet aiming for the opponent. If you need a good starting character but your not into the whole strength concept, go with Randy.

Ginjirou Ibushi: Arguably the greatest character in story mode, this quick-fighting ninja will rip your enemies to shreds. Ginjirou is probably the most balanced character in the entire game. With good strength and wicked agility combined with lighting techniques that rival even Randy's magical powers, Ginjirou is one powerful fighter.

Nicole Niel: OK, although I hate this character for being so obnoxiously ''cute'', I must admit that if played right she owns this game in story mode. Nicole is the only character in the game that can heal herself, and for this reason alone she is invincible at times. She can also cast a barrier around herself that will not allow enemy entry. Combine this with her healing spell and you’re an unstoppable cutie with a short skirt.

And there you have it, the four selectable characters (well, five if you count Nando) in story mode. Although story mode would not be much with out it's great characters, there is still more to it. With 30 levels and tons of routes to take, story mode will keep you busy for a while. Not to mention that there are about 7 or 8 different endings to reach.

The bosses in story mode are relentless hyper-powered psychos that will stop at nothing to bring you down. I wont list any of the bosses (for spoiler reasons), but I can guarantee that you will either love them or hate them.

Upon completing story mode, you will be awarded a few (but great) surprises. You'll just have to play to find out.

Versus Mode - You will be spending a lot of time here. Trying to obtain all of the games 45 unlockable characters for battle (which you can do so by playing through story mode) will keep you busy for quite some time. Up to six players (CPU or Human) can duke it out in a street-fight brawl! The enemy AI is extremely well done, taking an advantage of just about every opportunity to keep you on your toes. I don't want to spoil anything to big, but haven't you ever wandered what it would be like to control the bosses of games? The ultimate power-lords at the control of your very fingertips. Even the sound of it should thrill you.

Gameplay - 10/10 - RPG elements combined with fistfights and brawls of titans make this game what it is. As I stated before, the enemy AI is very well thought out and will pose a nice challenge for the best of gamers. As with the incredible attacks and spells, your character can boast a considerable defense if played right. You can dodge and block various ways along with jumping all around your opponent. There are also three different plains that your character can maneuver through (and some characters can even go into the very background and right up in your face as they are not restricted to the three plains as other characters are).

Also unlike most RPGs, for every attack you make on an enemy or even a mere box on the street (basically everything you hit) you get experience points to gain a new level. Using magic will also give you some much-needed experience.

Control - 10/10 - Control is exceptional. To do normal punching and kicking attacks, you can press two different buttons (one is weak/short range, the other long/hard range). The technique and spell casting is far easier than most fighting games that I have played (it is similar to that of Street Fighter). To run simply press right/right or left/left.

Graphics - 10/10 - Graphics are magnificent! It's like playing an anime. Guardian Heroes takes full advantage of 2D graphics. Superb character animations and frame rates give this game a smooth and crisp look to it. Do I dare compare the spells with that of Final Fantasy summons? Yes I do :).

Sound - 10/10 - At first the music did not appeal to me, but after awhile it grew on me and I began to love it. I'm sure everyone who has played this game knows that I just have to give mention to a certain track on this game--Valgar's theme song! Wow! That is..just too good for words to express! The remarkable music keeps me from muting my TV and listening to a CD (as I do with most games).

Difficulty - 10/10 - Everyone needs challenge in a game right? Play this game on hard mode or on versus mode against powerhouses like Kanon, G-Silver, Sky Spirits, and Earth Spirits and you will know what I'm talking about.

Replay Value - 10/10 - This is one of the best things going for this game. The replay value is everlasting and infinite, this is the universe as a game. It will never end (compare it to Phantasy Star Online). Get six of your friends to play this game with you and you will never put it down.

Overall Score - 10/10 - There is just no doing justice to this perfect game, it is an enigma. Some games will never get old, and this is one of them. Thank you Treasure, thank you. You know how to make a great game (a perfect game actually). For this game you will always be the best gaming company to many others and me. As I said above, I received this game from a friend of mine about four years ago and have never put it away. I have played so many great games and this ranks as number 1. Why else would I make such a long review? :)

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 05/30/03, Updated 05/30/03