Review by CFury

"This REALLY should have came to the States."

Seriously, this beauty of Atlus is something every Saturn owner should have in their library. This is one of the best games I've ever played for the Saturn. A great 2D action/RPG as I call it.

Graphics: 10

When I first saw the animation of this game, my jaw dropped. All the characters looked great and the backgrounds were very detailed. Definitely, no complaints here.

Sound: 10

I actually like the cutesy music and sound effects. It does go with the game and doesn't bother me one bit. The only voices are the grunts during battle, but it doesn't need a lot of talking anyway.

Music: 10

I like most of the tracks, my favorite is the Goblin Village. As with the sound, it goes with the game itself.

Gameplay: 10

Searching for things is quite easy since it's like a sidescroller, so you're just moving left or right. As in an RPG you encounter some enemies and HAVE to do battle with them. No running here(unless I never figured it out :p). Finding your way isn't hard at all, but sometimes you have to talk to the right person to get to certain places and if you don't read Japanese, it may take a little while.

The combat system is like Street Fighter and being a fighting game fan, I jump right into this. Most of it is basic: Back to block, Tap a direction to dash forward or back, up to jump, etc. Hitting the B button right when an enemy attacks gives you the option to dash behind the enemy or dash away. You can also use certain items during the fight. Each playable character has a special attack that does some good damage. Only problem is that after you use it(whether you connect or not)it takes a couple of seconds to recover, but there are items to solve that too :).

Controls: 10

Very easy and responsive controls. No problems with it at all.

Challenge: 5/10

My only complaint about the game is that it's too easy. Even if you don't know Japanese, you should have too many problems getting through any of the quests. At least I didn't.

Replayability: 8/10

Once you beat the game with Gradriel, you get a mini-quest where you get to play as Edward. Beating with him gives you more side quests as well. Too bad, when I beat all the side quests I didn't play it much afterwards. Prosperpina quest was getting on my nerves actually since I couldn't read Japanese and had to look at the manual to match certain things.

Whether you know Japanese or not, it's still a fantastic game. I would really like to play through this game again in English though. Who knows what I might have missed.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/15/01, Updated 07/15/01