Review by thumpin_termis

"It has to be the WORST strategy game I've played in some time"

Since I'm living in Japan for the time being, I picked my self up a used Saturn, and grabbed a chock full of used games. I picked this game up for a mere 100 yen (<$1 US), and from the look, it looked like it can be a potentially a nice strategy battle sim. But let me tell you, it's not even worth a $1.

Story- 5/10
My Japanese at a barely conversational level, so needless to say, I didn't get what was going on most of the time. From what I can tell, you're part of a group of graduates from a military academy, and as you graduate, you are intertwined in a series of what I'd consider typical - betrayal, shock, etc. There are a couple (and just a couple) nicely done anime cut scenes, but it's not enough to save this game. What's REALLY painful is the fact that it loads EVERY other dialog box. I don't know what the programmers were doing where they have to access the CD every few text lines. It really slows the game down as you literally have to sit there and talk with people for a good 10-15 minutes just to get to the next battle scene. I'm sure I may have enjoyed the game a bit more if I understood what was going on 100% of the time, but I doubt it.

Graphics-2/10
You can't expect to play a strategy for graphics, but minus the few anime cut scenes, this thing could've easily been done on a 16-bit system. The backgrounds are extremely boring, and the battle field during the fights are simply a space background with a grid over it. That's it! There's no fancy effects of ANY sort.

Sound-1/10
I'm really beginning to sound harsh, but the sounds were short, repetitive, and made me want to play the game on mute. The effects are tinny, the music is boring, and I can't think of a single track where I thought, "Hey, that's not bad!"

Gameplay-1/10
The most basic turn-based "strategy" game I've ever played. You simply choose your squadron of a limited selection of ships. They each have their own type of weapons, which isn't that different from another. You simply move your ships around, and attack. Sounds too simple? Yes - but that kind of formula worked extremely well on some other turn based games such as Langrisser, Dragon Force, Shining Force, etc. But there isn't too much strategy here. You literally just move around, attack the head ship of the enemy, and move on to the next group of enemies. That's it! The only reason why I sat around to finish this game was because I started it and I was stubborn and wanted to finish it.

Replay-2/10
Someone who likes to torture themselves MIGHT want to go back and try playing with different ship formations and like, but I honestly don't see why anyone would bother.

Overall-2/10
Is 2 too harsh for a game? Not when I think it's possibly one of the worst games I've played in a LONG, LONG time...

Reviewer's Score: 2/10 | Originally Posted: 02/06/06