Review by JebusCanada

"Hideo Kojima fans rejoice!"

Snatcher was a ''sleeper'' hit back in the early 90's. It received rave reviews but never reached much commercial success (although being on the doomed SegaCD might have contributed to that). This is one of the five best (and rarest) games for the SegaCD. Only other games worth playing on the system were: Sonic CD, Silpheed, Final Fight CD and the phenomenal Shinning Force CD. There were other versions released for the TurboDuo and Sega Saturn but none quite live up to the SegaCD version.

Story: 9.0
Typical Hideo Kojima fair. Lots of plot twists, back stabbing's and cultural references. The game stars Gilian Seed. A man who has complete Amnesia for unknown reasons. He has been recruited by JUNKER ( Japanese Undercover Neuro-kinetic Elimination Ranger)to help eliminate the Snatcher menace. The Snatchers themselves are much like the terminators from the famed movies featuring Arnie. They're cyborgs. ''living tissue over metal endoskeleton''....lol! Sorry I couldn't resist. They ''snatch'' VIP's and take their place in society. For what reason no one knows..... I really don't want to go too much into the story; being a text adventure i'll ruin all the fun.

Sound: 6.0
The music and the sound effects are straight Genesis, nothing spectacular. The voice on the other hand is superb. No ''master of unlocking'' here. Each character is acted out perfectly. Konami got some great voice work for this game. It's definitely one of the game's strong points. you'll actually want to learn more about the characters.

Graphics: 9.0
Let's face it; the Genesis can't really do much to wow us now in terms of graphics, but the team did a really good job with what they had to work with. Characters and backgrounds are very detailed with a nice Anime/Blade runner look and feel to it.

Gameplay: 10.0
Well it's a point-and-click adventure so there's no much to screw up in terms of control. Menus are easy to navigate and the fighting scenes are a breeze whether you're using the game pad or a light gun.

Replay 5.0
Once you've cleared the game there's not much to back to. Sure there are hidden scenes and phrases here and there but nothing that dramatically affects the story to make you wanna go back.

Overall: 9.0
A great game then and a great game now. If you're a fan of Hideo Kojima than playing this game is a must. Finding it on the other hand might prove to be an adventure all on it's own. I've seen this game going for as much as $150 US on e-bay. You could get it on an Emu like I did but only do that as a last resort. In any case play this game you won't be disappointed!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/06/04