Review by TrueOgre999

"Easily one of the most suspensful games I've ever played."

Snatcher for the Sega CD is one of the toughest games out there to find, but it is well worth it. It is not so much a game as it is an interactive novel. But it's an amazing one at that.

Obviously, the graphics are dated compared to what we are used to today, but they do the job just fine. They're more like pictures than they are graphics a lot of the time, but one should not find anything to complain about them. The animations are well done, looking fairly smooth with no slowdown. The characters all look like drawn cartoons, which may sound kind of lame in writing but in the game it actually works quite well.

The sound in this game is excellent. The voice acting is extremely well done, which is to be expected in a story-driven game by Hideo Kojima. The music does a great job of capturing the mood of the current scene you are in. The music changes to reflect the mood of the characters; for example, if you find something really shocking, it plays a song in the background to reflect that.

Controls: 8/10

Most of the time, you'll be controlling everything with menus, which should not be too hard to do, though it can get repetitive at times. The shooting sequences that appear every now and then take a little practice to get the controls down, but luckily there is a shooting range in the game where you can do that.

The story is amazing. Period. I could go on and on about how great it is, but I won't do that because it would spoil way too much. You play Gillian Seed, a man with a case of insomnia who just became part of the Junkers, a law enforcement group whose primary objective is to track down and eliminate Snatchers. Snatchers are essentially robots who use artificial skin to disguise themselves as humans to protect their identity. I'll stop with the story there. The story alone will make you want to keep playing this game. It is full of twists and turns all the way to the ending, where all the questions are finally answered.

Not much to complain about here. As I said before, this is not so much a game as it is an interactive novel. You issue commands through a menu system and watch what happens as a result. This can get repetitive at times, because you often have to make sure you have asked all the questions and done absolutely everything before you move on. But for the most part, it works extremely well. The game gets so suspenseful that you will sometimes be afraid to open a door or move on to the next area for the fear of running into a Snatcher. The shooting sequences in this game run by the standard game formula: easy to learn, hard to master. The shooting gets extremely hard near the end of the game, but it can be done.

The search for this game is well worth it in the end. If you like your games to be full of action, you may not like this one. If you like your games to be an experience, then go find this game.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/27/04