Review by Zylo the wolf

"Amy Rose's and Metal Sonic's first game is excellent."

If you like video games, then the chance that you have heard of Sonic the Hedgehog is very big. Except for Super Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog is the most well known video game character. Without Sonic, Sega might not have been able to make more systems after the Sega Mega Drive, even if it had a lot of other great games, the Sonic games was on a whole other level of popularity. So maybe it's no so strange that after Sega had released an add on for the Sega Mega Drive, the Mega CD, that Sonic got a game on the system.

Those who have already played at least one other Sonic game will have no problem to find out what's going on. Just like in almost every good Sonic game, there isn't much story in this game. A new world has appeared called Little Planet, and there are a few Time Stones on that planet which allows anyone to travel back in time. Rumour has it that Dr Robotnik is trying to get all those stones and us them to make himself even more powerful. Sonic must once again stop the evil doctor from enslaving the world. Another plot twist in this game is that Amy Rose gets kidnapped on the second stage by Metal Sonic, so our hero must also rescue her.

The gameplay is very similar to the previous games in the series. Sonic starts on a stage and have to reach the goal in order to get to the next stage. To kill the enemies, he can either jump on them or roll over them. Sonic has to collect rings, so he can take more than one hit before he dies. Just like in every other Sonic game, you can find shoes which makes Sonic run even faster, and there are also the invincible stars.

The big difference between this game and all the other Sonic games is that there are 3 different time periods of each zone in this game. Sonic can travel through time if he touches a sing that either says Past or Future, and then he have to run really fast for a while until he has enough speed to create a time hole and travel through it. I still haven't find any reason to visit the Future zones, but there's a robot machine in each Past zone that you can destroy and then Sonic will make a good future in that zone. If you make a good future in every zone, then the ending will be a little different.

Another thing that's new in this game is the bonus stages. Instead of collecting a number if rings to get the Time Stone, you have to destroy a number of flying UFOs. The bonus stage takes place on a big race track, and you see Sonic from behind, just like if you were playing a racing game. If you don't have destroyed all the UFOs when the time is up, then you will not get the Time Stone. It's also possible to get continues on the bonus stages if you collect more than 50 rings.

The only real flaw that this game has is that the bosses are way to easy to defeat, except Metal Sonic. Every single boss don't need more than 4 hits to be defeated, even the final boss. Most of the stages aren't ridiculous easy, but I've seen far more challenging stages in a Sonic game. Another thing that I miss is Tails, since this game got released after Sonic 2. But I think I read somewhere that this game was made before Sonic 2, it just got released after it.

Sonic CD isn't just as good as the first three Sonic games on the Sega Mega Drive, however if your Mega CD or Sega CD really needs this game if you don't already own it. The music is a bit different between the American and the other versions, I prefer the PAL an Japanese music, but it's not a big difference.Just buy the version of the game that you can play.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 08/06/07