Review by horror_spooky

"Mario and Luigi = BFFs! OMGZ!"

The Mario games are by far the most popular games of all time. When I found Super Mario World stashed away in the depths of my closet, I was hoping for a title that would blow my mind away. I'll admit that that was too much to expect from a game on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, but I expected just a little better then this.

After blowing into the gaming cartridge for what seemed like forever, Super Mario World finally would cooperate and start up. When I first started the game, I wasn't very impressed at all. As I started progressing through the game, I couldn't put my controller down. Attempting to beat the next three levels over and over gets a little tiresome, but it's fun at the same time. Eventually, you'll become an expert at the level and be able to beat it with your eyes closed and your hands cut off! Everything about the Mario formula is fun, so naturally, this game is really fun.

I used to think that Mario was aimed towards younger children. I don't get how kids would be able to beat this game! I was getting red-faced as I kept trying to beat a boss's dungeon without losing all my lives and having to redo two more levels plus the dungeon again. Or, when I beat all the levels as I went along, but found out I couldn't progress until I went back and found a secret key to further Mario and Luigi's adventure.

Whether you're Mario or you're Luigi, your controls are basically the same. Jumping on heads, collecting coins, throwing fireballs, riding Yoshi, gliding with your cape and becoming larger with mushrooms are just some of the things that the Mario Bros. can do. However, these moves were unresponsive at times and caused me to go into a major temper-tantrum when I was close to being able to save, but an enemy, that hadn't even touched me, ended up sending me back to the last checkpoint. Making Yoshi do difficult jumps was like trying to teach President Bush the world “nuclear.” It wasn't going to happen. However, being a frequent gamer, I can look past this controlling inconvenience and move onto the rest of my semi-positive review.

A new feature about this Mario game is the ability to use Yoshi, a green dinosaur. Yoshi can swallow Koopa Troopas (the little turtle dudes that walk around) and the player can use the abilities to their advantage. If Yoshi swallows a green Koopa Troopa, he can spit the shell out to knock enemies off the path ahead. If Yoshi swallows a blue Koopa Troopa, he can momentarily fly above the monsters and other hazards for an easy level finish. Finally, if Yoshi swallows a red Koopa Troopa, then he can shoot three fireballs out of his mouth.

Mario, Luigi and Peach are all visiting Dinosaur Island when Peach is kidnapped! On their quest to rescue the princess of the Mushroom Kingdom, they come across a green dinosaur named Yoshi. Yoshi joins them on their quest because Bowser's children have stolen all the other Yoshi eggs! Join Mario, Luigi and their new friend Yoshi as they set out on a quest to defeat Bowser's children, retrieve all the Yoshi eggs, save Peach and put a stop to Bowser's evil once-and-for-all!

Since this is a game on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, I'm not expecting graphics like Final Fantasy X. In fact, the graphics are pretty decent compared to other games on this system. There are some new monsters to trample on your way through Dinosaur Island and there is a wider array of bosses, especially compared to the previous Mario games. There are cut-scenes, but these usually consist of Mario or Luigi destroy one of the Koopa kids' castles, so the graphics do not decrease or increase during these occurrences.

Glitches were bad, but few and far between. Sometimes I would experience lag (yes, on a Mario game) and other times, I had my save erased! It's very annoying when you get to Bowser's hideout and your save deletes itself!

Yes, the Mario theme song. It's slightly altered, however, I think in this installment. Nonetheless, the background music is decent and catchy as you progress through the game. The sounds flow perfectly with your actions and my hats off to Nintendo for succeeding well in this department.

After a few days of gaming, I sadly found myself putting Super Mario World back into its dusty home in my closet. The game is decent length and is enough to keep you entertained and almost fully satisfied.

I doubt that you'll find all the secrets hidden throughout the levels on your first go around with Super Mario World. You'll find yourself replaying levels that you hated just to get a key you need to get into secret levels. Once finding a button that turns all of those strange little box outlines into actual boxes, you'd be stupid not to revisit the levels, especially if you want to find all the secrets.

Like it or not, Super Mario World is a classic videogame that has survived the test of time better than history itself. If you want just a quick play to entertain your friends for a weekend or if you want to just own every single Mario game there is, Super Mario World is perfect for any gamer.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 07/07/06