Review by bigfoot12796

"The game that made Yoshi!"

SMW (Super Mario World) in my opinion is one of the best Mario Games out there. The only one which just topped it recently on my list is Super Mario Galaxy. However, still to this day Super Mario World is an excellent game, and still holds up well so many years later.

Story

There isn't really a major story, but at the beginning of the game it is explained. Basically Mario, Luigi, and Princess Toadstool, went on a vacation to Dinosaur Island. While vacationing there the Evil Bowser kidnaps Princess Toadstool. Now Mario must travel through Dinosaur Island to save the Princess.

Graphics

The graphics may not be the best seen for the SNES (Super Nintendo Entertainment System), but it was one of the first games to be released for the system. And this was released back in 1991 too. And I think the graphics go excellent with the game, and it looks really wonderful for a 16-bit game. They are bright, and at the same time in some places dark.

Sound

The sound is overall good. Although there isn't as many memorable tunes as the first Super Mario Brother theme. There is some good ones like the Castle music, and the Ghost House music.

Gameplay

Now onto the most important part of any game the gameplay. This game is excellent interms of Gameplay, and is what makes the game. With a total of 72 levels, and including all the secret levels that makes it an amazing 96 levels including secrets. And each level is different all at the same time. Also with ghost houses, castles, forests, caves, outdoor places, and more there is so much to explore.

This games most strongest point is the gameplay itself. To this very day the game holds up very well, and it remains a classic. It also has Yoshi, which was his debut! Being able to ride Yoshi around in most levels only adds onto the fun of this game.

Also being able to do two player is a very good aspect as well to be able to play with a friend. You can take turns playing as Mario and Luigi.

Difficulty

When I was a child I found this game I very hard. I never did beat it as a child even I only got to the final boss. But now as I am much older the game is much easier. Although in some places in this game the difficulty makes it very difficult to make it hard to beat some levels.

Overall though the difficulty level is well balanced. As you go along the levels get harder but not at such a rate, you will be pulling your hair out.

Controls

You can only use the Gamecube Controller and the Classic Controller for this game. I never played this game though with the Gamecube Controller so I can't rate its control. However, using the Classic Controller playing SMW (Super Mario World) it feels just like playing it on the SNES. SInce the Classic Controller was designed after the orginal SNES Controller it makes it feel authenitic. The controls are responsive, and feel just as good as it did back on the SNES.

Replayability

Even after all these years this game is still a timeless classic as I said earlier. WIth all the secrets, and unlockables you can keep on playing this game even after initially beating it, just to unlock everything. And even after unlocking everything the game is still fun just to start over and play.

Buy or Not Buy?

This game is a classic, and if you have never experinced SMW this is a must own title for the VC (Virtual Counsel). For $8 this is a steal to just experience this classic for the first time. Even if you have played it before in the past it is a great game just for nostaglia reasons. Overall this game is one of the best games on the VC, and ever released.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/26/07

Game Release: Super Mario World (US, 02/05/07)