Review by DarkMark42

"The best platform game ever made."

Super Mario World is in my opinion, the best platform game ever made. It was one of the two launch titles for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System(which is the greatest video game console ever made, in my opinion), and by far the better one(Pilot wings was the other launch title), the launch date was 1991 by the way.

Super Mario World is the sequel to Super Mario Bros 3. They were only released only a year apart anyway. Who would've thought that platforming could get any better after the Super Mario Bros trilogy, especially after Mario 3?

I used to see SMW as the best game ever, but of course better games have come around. If this was in the early 1990's, though, I'd say this is the best game ever. Regardless, this is still one of the best ever made. Ah, the nostalgia is here! On to the ratings section.

Story

The story isn't great, but who cares? It's a Mario platformer, and the game was made back in 1991. It's a continuation of Super Mario Bros 3, so that adds a little exitement. After defeating Bowser and his Kooplings in Super Mario Bros 3, Mario, Luigi, and Princess Toadstool(we call her by her first name today, which is Peach) decide to take a vacation. Their destination is Dinasour land. When they arrive, they leave Peach alone for a little while. When they come back, she's missing! So the duo search the place, up until they come across a huge egg(not really that big). It then hatches, and tells them his name is Yoshi. He says that he went to rescue his friends(who are Dinasours to), but he was captured by monster-like turtles! That must mean Bowser, as Luigi said. The green Dinasour then gives Mario a feather, which will put a cape on Mario and allow him to fly. And so, the adventure begins. Again, not a great story, but it doesn't matter. 7/10

Graphics

These were the best-looking graphics back in 1991. Pure 16-Bit eye-candy. That's all there is to it. Everything stll looks great, and detailed. Nice job on the graphics. 9/10

Music/Sound effects

The opening title is awesome, and the rest of the music/sound effects is cathy as well. This is one of the best soundtracks you'll ever hear, no doubt. 10/10

Gameplay

Gameplay is what really matters, where Super Mario World really shines. It's such a fun game to play. You have all-new power-ups, 7 worlds to go to, Yoshi to ride, this is platforming at possibly the highest level that it can go to. It's basically flawless. Luigi is the second player, and the whole game was steps-ahead of any other platform game that dares to challenge it. 10/10

Fun Factor

With everything said, this game is tons of fun to play, even today.

Replay Value

Many people, including myself, still comes back to this gem. Nostalgia will always be there, and with a game this fun, you'll try to beat all 96 levels.

Overall

Super Mario World is one if the best games ever made, I suggest that you buy it if you don't have it!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/22/08

Game Release: Super Mario World (US, 08/13/91)