Review by Deezlink

"Super Mario Brothers 3 has nothing on this."

I was never a gamer during the SNES era. Looking back on that now, I find it kind of sad that I missed many popular games during their prime. I still have all the remakes and such, but they have nothing on the older versions.

So when I received my Game Boy Advance, the third game I got was Super Mario Advance 2. Since I was new to Nintendo gaming, I simply thought that this was the greatest game in the world. I played the game to death.

It wasn't until the Virtual Console on the Wii that I played the original copy of the game. And when I started it up for the first time, I realized what a better game it was.

The story isn't much. Again, the princess is captured while Mario needs to go defeat Bowser. I however, do not grow tired of this repatition, and enjoy it, so it's more like a pick up and play game. Some say that if you have played one game in the series, you have played them all. I highly disagree.

The game play is like the previous installments. You are Mario (or his brother Luigi) going through a level and making it to the goal. Along the way, there are various obstacles and baddies out to stop you along the way. When you are hit once, if you are small Mario you die. But if you have collected a mushroom to become Big Mario, you will only revert back to small. There isn't the plethora of power up's as found in Super Mario Brother's 3, but it doesn't make it worse.

You travel around the levels on a map screen, which is a step up from the previous installment. I enjoy it quite well, and a level has a red dot instead of a yellow one when you missed a secret exit (or the actual exit) in a level. This can be very helpful, however, levels like Boo Houses that have secret exits will not be visible. There are a few in the game that will make you think, "Jeez, how did someone figure this out?"

I have to say, the Game Cube controlling is not at all good. I'm not going to let this get in the way of the rating, but it takes a lot of time to get used to it. I highly recommend the Classic Controller, as it makes the game 2000% times more fun than playing with the awkward Game Cube controls.

Graphics do not really matter, but I looooooovvvve these graphics over every other game for the SNES. They are dark, crisp, mellow, and soft all at the same time. I do not experience much slow down, although it will happen a few times in some of the underwater levels (but you won't die from them unless you are truly stink at the game).

From frantic tunes to mysterious MIDI's, this game has it all. There are around 8 or more tunes used throughout the game, repeating, but it does not detract from the score. You're always hoping to listen to a favorite tune and when it comes up in a level, you get pumped. The sound effects are decent, although I've had a little problem with a cut off of the level win sound effect. It's not really noticable though.

With 96 courses, many hidden (and hidden well at that) it's hard not to be compelled to play this over again. The two player mode add's in even more fun. The replay value is high for a game of this age.

As you can tell by now, I love this game. It's perfect, and when Miyamoto said that he was going to change the world with SMB3, he was right. However, he forgot to mention this game along with it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/28/08

Game Release: Super Mario World (US, 02/05/07)