Review by GodOfWarFanatic

"After almost 17 years, it's still the greatest 2D platformer I've ever played."

Back in the old NES days, well not really the NES days since it was late-90s when I first started playing games. So lets say back in the N64 days when I played the NES more than anything, I was a huge fan of Super Mario Bros. 3, I still am today, and I always thought it was impossible to make a better 2D platformer. The SNES came into America, along with Super Mario World, in 1991. That's when my brother got both the system and the game and when I was 5 or 6, I first played what was Super Mario World after my brother pulled the Super Nintendo out of the basement. All though it was really dated, I played what I thought was near perfection. And had done the impossible, surpass Super Mario Bros. 3.

Super Mario World is widely considered as the greatest Mario platform. All though several debates rage that Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario 64 are better, but from most opinions I've seen, Super Mario World takes the cake. That's in my opinion, too. This game is just non-stop fun with some of the most addictive gameplay ever to grace a game. This has everything you want and expect in a Mario game, even more! There was just so much possible. This game was HUGE for it's time, just a lot of levels to play on. You'd never think a cartridge could handle how much is put into this game and still be flawless. But we also got over that deal with the N64 Resident Evil 2 port.

Practically everything is this game is perfected. I've played many games on the NES and SNES, and no platformers on either system gave me more entertainment as Super Mario World did. Until my brother bought a N64 and PSX, this was the main game I played. Along with other great 2D platforms like Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3, but Super Mario World was the one. Out of the around 12 games on my Wii that I've downloaded from the Virtual Console, this is the main one I play.

It's your basic Mario game, just upgraded with new additions. The most noticable is the introduction of Yoshi. He got you to secret places and made the levels easier, there were also four different versions of him. Each with their own advantage. One of the other big thing's were the incredibly huge size of each level. There are secret worlds, levels with two endings, just anything you could imagine in a 2D platformer. The boss battles are awesome and creative. The one new "attack" that this Mario game has that the others didn't is you can do a spin-jump attack. It's what it sounds like, you spin at an incredible fast rate whilst jumping. This is useful for breaking blocks underneath you, defeating some enemies quicker, and when you have obtained the fire flower, you will shoot fireballs in all directions. This is just a few of some of the great gameplay elements that Super Mario World hosts. The gameplay is just picture perfect for a 2D game. Hell, there are even football players that kick footballs and even throw baseballs.

This is one of the most colorful games I have ever seen. These aren't the best on the SNES, but at the time (The experimenting stage), these graphics were unheard of. Everything, and I repeat everything, is more detailed. The character animations, especially Yoshi, are just amazing. It's just pleasing to the eye. This game probaly had the greatest SNES graphics until Donkey Kong Country came out, but both of those games graphical capabilities are perfect.

Instead of the very simplistic music in NES games, the music here is a little more complex and more pleasant to hear. Don't get me wrong, I loved the catchy music in games like Legend of the Zelda and Super Mario Bros. 3, but just imagine that, but way catchier and more memorable. The sound effects from your actions are even better, not on the realistic side, but it's Mario.

Control: 10/10

In a lot of games, not saying most, but a good portion of them, I usually have one little or big complaint in the control department. Not in this case, the control scheme is perfect and simple to use.

Pros:

-Everything in this game.
-Only $8 on the Virtual Console.

Cons:

-I honestly can't think of anything bad to say.

Final Rating: 10/10

This is the near perfect game and it is definitely my favorite 2D platformer. If you have any sense in your brain, love platformers, and have not yet played this game. Buy it. Now. Get a Wii or SNES and buy it and you will experience one of the greatest games of all time.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/16/08

Game Release: Super Mario World (US, 02/05/07)