Review by zenGOSM

"One of Many Reasons the SNES is Amazing"

This game was the very first game that I ever owned. It came with my Super Nintendo, which is, to this day, my absolute favorite console. This is one of the best games on that console, and it is one of the best Mario games out there. As such, I felt the need to download it for my Wii, just in case I feel like playing it and I don't have my SNES.

Gameplay
This game really shines in every category, but the gameplay is where it particularly shines. The style is very simillar to Super Mario Bros. 3, but there are differences that improve the game. All of the power ups that were introduced in Super Mario Bros. 3 were taken out, and the cape was added. This is a welcome simplification, in my opinion. Raccoons don't really fly, I did not find the frog suit to be particularly useful, and I played through the entire game and only got Tanooki Mario once, briefly. The cape is a very useful powerup, allowing him to fly, almost indefinitely if you're good enough, he can make spinning attacks with it, and he can deflect certain projectile attacks with it. Yoshi also makes his appearance as Mario's mount. Yoshi can eat enemies with his exceptionally long tongue, and gains different powers by eating koopa shells. Mario has also gained a new basic move, the spin jump. This is a more powerful jump, though with it he cannot jump as far as a regular jump. The spin jump also allows him to bounce off of things that would hurt him, like razor blades. This does not work for all dangerous surfaces! The spin jump is useful enough. Finally, there are lots and lots of secret exits for you to find, giving you plenty of reason to explore the levels thoroughly. You might even find the fabled Top Secret Zone or the mythical Star Road! I don't find the game to be exceptionally difficult, but then again, this is the first game I ever owned, and I've played it lots. I've played much harder games. One thing, I don't know if this is true for Super Mario World, but I've experienced a slight lag on my LCD TV on some NES games. I have not checked to see if this is the case for Super Mario World, but it should be kept in mind that this is a potential side effect of playing old games using technology that was not predicted at the time.

Story
This is a typical platformer story, and as such there isn't a whole lot of depth, but it gets the job done. Mario and Luigi were vacationing in Dinosaur Land, but then Bowser shows up and kidnaps the Princess and Yoshi's friends. You have to go rescue them. That's pretty much the entire story.

Graphics
Fairly typical SNES graphics. Nothing too special, especially if you look at some later games on the SNES, but they won't make you want to gouge out your eyes.

Sound
Music is good, although some of the classic Mario music has been left out.

Play Time
This game could take you hours and hours seeking out all the hidden areas (if you're not using a guide), or it could take you all of half an hour if you're doing a speed run.

Replay Value
I've beaten it many times, and it's always a lot of fun. It's a good game to play with friends too, even if you both have beaten it before. Older Mario games are generally good like that.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/14/08

Game Release: Super Mario World (US, 02/05/07)