Review by Tokyo Fusion

"THIS is the reason why I bought the SNES instead of Genesis!"

Way back in the year 93’, two consoles were in the operation of a bloody console battle. The SNES Vs. the Genesis. During that time, I didn’t have both of the said consoles. It was time to decide which console I will ask for the upcoming Christmas. SNES? Genesis? I remember having loads of fun playing Sonic on the Genesis at someone’s house. With that in mind, I rooted for the Genesis because of Sega’s blue mascot.

But one day… my whole gaming life had changed. I was introduced to the SNES at a party. They had Super Mario World. As I watched the others play, my eyes were instantly glued to the TV. Like a little kid in a gigantic candy store, I instantly exclaimed a slow “WOOOOOOW” with my eyes bulging out wide. I had to wipe the drool off my mouth but couldn’t help it but drool some more. When I finally got my chance to play, I gripped the controller as hard as I can. I remember playing the ghost house level of Donut Plains (that was my first level). I was astounded by the graphics, music, and gameplay. This game’s fun! It’s the best game I’ve ever played!

”THIS IS THE CONSOLE I’M GOING TO ASK FOR!!!”

Without having any second thoughts, I threw the idea of having a Genesis out the window. Christmas was only a few weeks away. Needless to say, choosing the SNES over the Genesis was one of the best and wisest choices I’ve ever made. Miyamoto’s magic, Super Mario World pulled me in like a pin attracted to a magnet.

The box said “96 levels”. “Wow! 96?!? That’s a lot!” And I thought Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES had the most levels in the entire series. I guess not… Well, onward to the review!

Graphics: 10/10 Being the first game for the SNES, the early 16-bit visuals are amazing! Everything is vivid, colorful, and well animated from levels to enemies. The baddies in the game are cute and cartoonish. The world-map and its animations are jaw-droppingly impressive. Clouds move, water ripples, fish jump, ghosts float. The koopalings looked comical. Big Boo even looks intimidating. The jump of visuals from 8-bit to 16-bit was well done.

Music/Sound: 9/10 SMW is well remembered by the cheerful music playing in the background. The main theme of SMW is overused. In fact, it’s played in every level in the game. BUT WAIT!!! All of them are composed differently, hence, different styles and different variations keep the main theme fresh. In normal levels such as plains or forests, the main theme plays at a normal rate. On the other hand, it is incredibly fast-paced in platform riding levels. The theme is gentle and slow in underwater stages. The variation played inside the haunted house levels are creepy yet cute. However, the best variation of the main theme is played in the koopaling fortress levels. It is orchestrated frighteningly by a string ensemble and a pipe organ. One of the best tunes in the game. But the very best goes to the well-composed ending theme. Kudos to Mr. Kondo! The sounds are also well programmed ranging from coins to the familiar Yoshi’s snort. I really enjoyed the sound effects.

Gameplay: 10/10 The gameplay is really simple. You finish one level and you go on to the next. But you will realize that each level’s difficulty gradually increase. Aside from Mario’s normal run, jump, and hit blocks, he can fly but unlike SMB3, he can parachute float and make an earthshaking crash on the ground. He is also aided by Yoshi, our lovable green dinosaur. Yoshi can gobble up enemies. Certain koopa shells affect Yoshi’s performance. It might give him the ability to spit fireballs, fly, or make sand clouds. He can also gobble up fruits and hold various items in his mouth such as keys, spring boards, and switches. Some levels might hide secret areas such as secret exits and keyholes that will make a path for you to other secret levels. There are also secret fortresses which are more difficult than the usual ones. There’s even the “Star Road”, a secret area in the world map which also hides the secret SECRET special stages oddly named gnarly, tubular, groovy, and others and trust me, these secret levels are insanely difficult but will reward players at the end if they manage to pass every level in this area.

Fun Factor / Replay Value: 10/10 This game provided me with hundreds of hours of replay. This game is huge! You will find yourself playing the game over and over and over again. It’s so fun no wonder it’s one of SNES all time classics. In fact, I’d rather play this than Mario 64. This is truly the ultimate platformer in the SNES era.

And I still play it today…

OVERALL: 10/10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/11/01, Updated 03/23/03