Review by Aristotle

"SMW is a very good SNES game, all factors considered."

SMW is really just a gigantic rip-off of SMB3 for the NES, but it still has a ton of good things going for it. For example, they've added the whole Yoshi thing to it to make it more interesting. I also got the game discounted at the fabulous price of $5, so it makes it all worthwhile for me.

The Graphics are very good for the SNES, but not super-duper. But what else would you expect, SMW was one of the first games made for the Super Nintendo, and these graphics are good enough for me. They are crisp, clear, and VERY colorful. A real bump up from SMB3 on the NES.

The Sound and Music is fine for me. There is a wide variety of music tracks for the game, and the sound is very clear so that you can hear whatever Mario or the game does. While sometimes getting annoying, it takes a while for this to happen, and most video games' music does anyway.

The Controls are excellent. They fit perfectly into your hand, and they present no difficulties whatsoever. Like most games, your hands and brain automatically adjust to the controller and the buttons' different controls to enable you to play the game. I never really noticed the controls because I was so engrossed in the game.

The Difficulty is not really hard, because each level is kind of straightforward. The only thing that makes the game hard is the length of it, there are approximately one hundred different levels, plus bonus levels, so it is a very, very long game. Other than that, it is only the castles that are hard, some I have never beaten before.

The Replay Value is very good, mainly because it is the kind of game that would take you about thirty hours to just sit down, start a new file, play to the end, and finish the entire game, one hundred percent. But also, SMW never dies. That is the reason that I bought it now. It is one of the most fun games I have ever played, next to the original Mario games for the NES.

The Gameplay is SMB3 for NES, only touched up with much better graphics and sound to give it a newer feeling. But they also added Yoshi, a big dinosaur, who Mario can ride around on, giving him new abilities, such as eating enemies. Other than that, much of the game is a clone of Super Mario Brothers 3, and I love that fact because I love Super Mario Brothers 3.

Overall, SMW is an excellent game for the SNES. The only thing about it is that it can get boring after playing it about ten hours or so, and then you just throw it into your closet or wherever and forget about it for about a half of a year. But the graphics and sound are a major bump up from SMB3 for the NES, and the game is more than worthy of the Mario title.

Sound/Music: 9/10

Controls: 10/10

Difficulty: 9/10

Replay Value: 8.5/10

Overall: 9/10 (not an average)

Final Thought: If you liked Super Mario Brothers 3 for the NES, you'd be hurting only yourself by passing this one up.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/05/00, Updated 03/05/00