"Despite a lack of difficulty, this game is nothing short of a true classic"

Super Mario World was the very first game I ever played and I have beaten it countless times. Perhaps nostalgia has commanded me to give this game a 10 but this game is still a true classic just the same. Super Mario World is often compared to Super Mario Bros. 3 and with good reason, both are excellent classics! Personally, I prefer Super Mario World and Super Mario World remains to be one of my favorite games even today!

Storyline: The storyline to Super Mario World is classic, not a complex storyline that makes no sense. Princess Peach has been kidnapped by Bowser (Again). It's up to you, Mario, to travel throughout the land and save Peach. You'll also have to defeat the Koopa Brothers too who guard each castle. The storyline is classic and this game doesn't need a deep storyline. 10/10

Game Play: Game Play: This game goes by a "dot level system." Basically, whenever you beat a level, you'll be placed on another dot on the current world you are in. Yes, you can backtrack. There are about five to eight levels in a world plus a boss and about 8 worlds plus a secret world! .
Now for the actual game play. You jump over pits and enemies all to get to the end of the level. You will start as Mario (Or Luigi if you are doing multi-player) and if you get hurt, you'll turn into a “smaller Mario”. You see, Mario can get hit twice actually, as long as he was powered up by means of the mushroom. There are also a few other items Mario can get such as the fire flower which can shoot fireballs, the cape which can let Mario fly for a short period of time as well as attack enemies or the star which can make Mario invincible.

You can get these items by hitting certain blocks that appear. Sometimes you'll get other items such as a 1-Up Mushroom. The game is straightforward but there is a lot of secret stuff to this game. Explore Star Road to find out! But overall, the game play is good, it doesn't have quite as much items as the NES Super Mario Bros 3. had (Which is disappointing because this was a SNES game, it should have more than a NES game) but it is truly great. 9/10

Graphics: The graphics were quite impressive when this game was first released. Now we know the Super Nintendo could have done better but I'm not going to discredit the graphics to this early SNES game because they are good. The scenery is very good too. Whether you are in the water, traveling on a raft through lava, running through the ghost house or figuring out the forest maze, you will enjoy the nice landscape. 10/10

Sound/Music: The sound to this game is good, though I will admit that the sound gets a little loony sometimes. Still, it's good for the most part. The soundtrack is good too. I wouldn't say there are any really memorable tunes but I really can't think of a bad tune either. The soundtrack is filled with good tunes, but nothing extraordinary. 9/10

Difficulty: The difficulty to this game is pretty bad. There was only level I struggled with as a child (Tubular) and I can breeze through this game with ease nowadays. The difficulty is this games weak point and it is a little sad. But this game seemed to be a beginners game in a way, as I said earlier, it was my first game and it was a great leap into the world of video games. Still, I can't give the difficulty a good score because it's rather easy. 3/5

Replay Value: The replay value to this game is amazing. I personally have beaten the game at least 40 times but I really love this game. Still, this game, like most early platformers, has some of the best replay value ever. 5/5

Recap:

Storyline: 10/10
Game Play: 9/10
Music/Sound: 9/10
Difficulty: 3/5
Replay value: 5/5

Overall: 46/50 = 92% (I'll round it to a 10)

Overall, this game is one of those games every gamer must play. If you haven't played this game yet, I must slap you, then shout at you for not playing it! It is hard to find SNES games nowadays but you can relive the adventure with Super Mario Advance 2 for the Game Boy Advance!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/03/05