Review by 6xdandangp

"A classic, even though it was a little easy."

Final Fantasy IV has been around for a very long time, and it still has a strong story and it's a very high-quality game even for today's standards. The first North American release of this game was named FFII because it was the second FF game to be released in the US.

Gameplay 6/10
We should start with the bad part, eh? Final Fantasy 4's gameplay is much weaker than it should be due to one part missing: Challenge. It's far easier than it's supposed to be and I bet you that even an average RPG player will not die once in the entire game. If you are even slightly overleveled, you can basically run through any enemy or boss.

Graphics 8/10
The graphics are great for its time, every sprite is detailed enough so that you won't have to strain your eyes and the battle sprites are very detailed. There are no drawbacks to its graphics but though they're great for its time, they aren't the best the SNES can do, so I can't give it any higher than that.

Story 9.5/10
The story is one of the best that the SNES offers, it starts off with Cecil stealing a crystal from the elder in Mysidia, I can't say any more than that due to the spoiler rule. Although there's not plenty of plot twists, there certainly is enough to get you into the game.

Sound 8.5/10
The sound is amazing too, it's not exactly the quality that is amazing, but the sound fits into every part of the game. The only song I ever got annoyed of is the battle theme because it's very repetitive and I had to hear it every time I got into a random battle, but the vast majority of the songs are great.

Replay value 7/10
The replay value isn't what you would expect nowadays, but it was good back then. You might get about 30-50 hours on this game depending on how much you grind or if you did the few sidequests that the game offered. It isn't much now anymore but it was still pretty good back then.

Overall 7.8/10
I was satisfied with htis game back then and I still am now, I encourage you to try out this game or its remakes if you don't have an SNES or can't get this version. It really is a classic, even though it should be much harder than it is.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 07/29/09

Game Release: Final Fantasy II (US, 11/23/91)