Review by Doodleheimer

"I'm going as Awesome Man for Halloween."

Game Play-
8/10

Final Fantasy II does not have any unique systems like in Final Fantasy III. But, that saddening fact does not take away from the solid game play Final Fantasy II has to offer. Final Fantasy II literally set the standard for Role Playing Games on the Super Nintendo. Final Fantasy II was the first American Role Playing Game to offer Summoning spells, active battle systems, and lively backgrounds. Any problems with Final Fantasy II? Yes, you can not tell whose turn it will be next in battle, unlike the later Final Fantasy games. There was some stuff on the PSX version not found on this version. Such as those attacks Cecil used in the opening scene, and some other abilities for each character. Many items were cut out of the game, some for good reasons.

Audio-
9/10

The audio in Final Fantasy II is very soothing to your ears. The battle music in Final Fantasy II is the best battle music out of all the Final Fantasy Games ever made. I would not say that Final Fantasy II has the best battle music ever. Wild ARMs stole the best battle music title. Still, Final Fantasy II has great music overall. The bad thing, though, is that the overhead World Music does not really match the scenery, unlike the overhead World music in the Underground. That musical tune was excellent. I still can not get that musical tune out of my head. The sound effects may get a little annoying, irritating, and just get on your nerves at time. They sound effects sounded too cartoonish. But, that should not take away from the solid game play.

Graphics-
8/10

The graphics in Final Fantasy II are a sight for sore eyes. The graphics in Final Fantasy II are a great improvement over most of the other Role Playing Games the Super Nintendo and the Sega Genesis had to offer at that time. The characters look VERY detailed in battle. The backgrounds in battle are excellent. That was something only a few Role-Playing Games had to offer at that time.

Enjoyability-
8/10

Although some stuff was cut out, this game will still entertain, even though the PSX version retails for about $20.00 less, includes more stuff, and has Chrono Trigger on it, it still won’t completely disappoint.

Score-33/40

Overall-
9/10

Doodleheimer's Recommendationitivity

Final Fantasy II will keep making you come back for more of the solid Role Playing gameplay Final Fantasy II has to offer. I do not know what makes me want to play this game from time to time. Maybe it is the character development Cecil and Kain go through. Or maybe it is the unique storyline with many twists and turns. I just have no idea what it is. I just keep wanting to play Final Fantasy II over and over and over again, and I am sure you will want to play Final Fantasy II over and over and over again also. Should you buy Final Fantasy II. Oh yeah, Hollywood Video may have Final Fantasy II. But Final Fantasy Chronicles on the Playstation is better. Get that instead.

Street Price-$39.99