Review by EazyCheeze

"A great game; a few translational quirks, but still a great game."

This, being the second in the Final Fantasy series released in the U.S., is the first domesticated FF to have actual living, breathing characters, with lives other than what you put into them (Read: Final Fantasy I). It follows the exploits of one Cecil, who after disagreeing with the King of Baron's motives for needing a special jewel from an isolated, idyllic town, is dismissed from his post as the Captain of the Red Wings.

Things are not what they seem as the King uses Cecil and his friend Kain to destroy a village full of those with the power of Calling. One little girl survives the massacre, and calls the Elemental Titan to attack our heroes with a powerful earthquake. The earthquake causes both Cecil and Rydia (the little girl) to fall unconscious, and blocks the road back to Baron. Also, Kain is missing...

The game is not quite as massive in scope as its sequels, of course, but it holds its own as one of the best RPG's of all time. The translators got a few words wrong, however, but this does not detract from gameplay. Battle takes place against backgrounds that look rather cartoony by today's standards, and follows the basic FF fighting formula (except there's no wait meter).

This is, in summary, a great game, and I'd recommend it to anyone as an intro to console roleplaying games.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 11/01/99