Review by LOG

"Made Classic by Respect, not Substance"

Don't get in an uproar about my title now. Let me explain. Yes, I believe Final Fantasy II is a classic, but not because it is the greatest game, but because it is gained the moniker "classic" through the continuing efforts of the following Final Fantasies. FF2 is a good game, and it did open up doors for other RPG makers, but I believe either 5 or 6 really defined the series as the greatest RPG franchise. Then FF7 really took it to a new level.

Final Fantasy II is another basic game story with the point being to save the world. You are Cecil and your friend Kain joins you. Events happen then Kain deserts you. You meet other playable characters and start the quest to become a Paladin (you start as a dark knight). Each character has a special ability Kain can jump, Rydia uses black magic and summon, etc. The party is five characters which is nice, but some enemies can be extremely tough. You get an airship (standard stuff) and explore around.

As usual the music is very good and the graphics are decent for 1992 though it could be better. The music is not as dynamic like in FF3 or 7, but very good for the time. The many playable characters add charm to the game, but I like a standard base of character which you eventually get. There is not much character development, but hey RPGs are not that big in US at the time.

The game really doesn't offer anything new, but because it continues the FF line, it became a classic. The story isn't spectacular, but I've said it before what more can you do with "time to save the world." I say the game is good, but not very challenging until the last dungeon and boss. Buy this if you seek the good old days of plain menu RPG. It is good, but not a true classic for me. I hope I didn't offend any people who believe this the best of the series.

Graphics 8