Review by ZarrSadus

"Not bad for an old-school RPG."

Introduction: Final Fantasy 2 is another one of the Super Nintendo’s “classic” games and a must-play for any RPG fan. FF2 though is not for everyone. Coming from the age when RPGs were about swords, sorcerers, and dragons this game is pure old-school with a great storyline about a knight saving the world.

Graphics: 6/10 – The world is very vibrant and full of colors, however since this game came out fairly early on in the SNES’ lifespan, no new ground is being broken here. Still, care was taken to give plenty of detail to every sprite especially on the menu screen. The sprites in battle though pale in comparison to later Final Fantasy games on the SNES, namely FF3/6.

Music/Sound: 9/10 – This section is almost a no brainer. Let’s see we have a Final Fantasy game so who else could have composed the music except one of the legends of game music himself, Nobuo Uematsu. This is definitely a soundtrack that I would listen to outside of the game and I have done so on a few occasions. A few of the songs that really stand out are the ones that have become classic tunes, “Welcome to Our Town!”, “Rydia”, and “Theme of Love” come to mind. Square also released a “Final Fantasy IV Celtic Moon” soundtrack that I really really liked as well. Changing things up a little bit and adding that Celtic twist makes for an enjoyable listening experience.

Storyline: 7/10 – When I originally played this game years ago I loved the story, but after replaying it a few weeks ago I just couldn’t appreciate it as much. Call it being spoiled by the later epic Final Fantasy games, but FF2 was definitely showing its age here. I will not totally rag on this game, however, as the plot was played out beautifully. A few twists here and there but not overly dramatic like games nowadays. I enjoyed the way the game kept bringing new characters into your group as others left for one reason or another. This made for a party in which you always had to adapt to the new character’s abilities and not just rely on the old standbys.

Control/Gameplay: 8/10 – It’s an RPG on Super Nintendo, what do you expect? Point in a direction and your character goes that way. No complaints here.

Replayability: 8/10 – Yes there’s the fun or trying to get all the stuff you missed the first time, but then again this in an RPG so any attempt at that is a lengthy investment of time. I finished this at right around 20 hours exactly and missed plenty of the rare items and ultimate weapons, so sure it’s going to take some time to do this game 100%.

Value/Collectability: 9/10 – Being a classic SNES game, this one still demands a decent price in any used game store or ebay. But the $30.00 or so price tag is definitely worth it to add a classic Square game to your collection, and a good one at that. Being re-released on the Playstation has helped drop the price, so go grab the original to experience it in all of its glory.

Conclusion: 8/10 – Even years later this is a great game to remember the good old days of classic 2D gaming. While the flavor of this game might not appeal to everyone, plenty will find a great experience.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 09/21/02, Updated 09/21/02