Review by Janus5000

"The best RPG I could do when I was four."

Final Fantasy… maybe the greatest RPG series of all time. At least it was, before Final Fantasy VIII was released. Anyway, on with the review.

Back in the good old days (SNES), there were actual RPGs. Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire, and Final Fantasy III are good examples. Also, there was Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, and Final Fantasy V, which was never released in America. But wait, wasn’t there one more really big RPG out there? Ah, yes. Final Fantasy II. How could I forget? Don’t answer that.

Graphics – (8/10)
Outside of battle, the character sprites are very small and detailed. However, for some reasons, the details were made way too big. Cecil’s eyes pretty much cover his face… this is an RPG, not good anime. And most details are just ugly black smudges, anyway.

Inside of battle, however, the graphics look much better! Every party member looks almost as good as Edgar did in FF III. And the spells just look phenomenal… each weapon even looks different from each other when used.

Music/Sound – (10/10)
The music in FF II is awesome. There is no other word for it. I especially liked the opening theme and the heroic music that plays during the last dungeon. And the last boss’s music comes pretty close, too. Maybe the best soundtrack of any SNES game, with the possible exception of Chrono Trigger.

The sound effects, too, are very good. The only annoying part is Cecil’s sword going slash/slash for the 1000th time. Oh well, who cares? Me.

Plot – (8/10)
The plot is actually very deep and sophisticated, but the reason I give it an 8 is because the translation is TERRIBLE. The plot is lost in the confusing speech. All of the dialog is very shallow, showing no emotion. It's very hard to tell what's going on sometimes. The dialog was probably as deep as the actual story in Japan, but the translators really messed up big time here. Plot would have gotten an 11 if the translators hadn't sucked.

Characters – (6/10)
Every relevant character has a definite background, but that’s about it. NOTHING is told about anyone’s past at all, but to avoid giving this a 3 I blame the translators, not the game. Still, it’s disappointing.

Challenge (10 being the hardest) - -5/10
This game may be the easiest RPG ever created. It is very obvious what you do after completing mission A, getting item B, or killing monster C. Also, there are maybe three bosses in the entire game that are very hard, and enemies are even easier. It doesn’t get any easier than this, folks.

Gameplay – (39/40)
What flaws are there? The controls are simple and every character is good at something. Also, you don’t have to worry about what characters to put in your party. But seriously, out of battle, you walk around, open stuff, talk to people, and buy items. Nothing you need to think about. In battle, the only flaw is the fact sometimes a party member takes way too long to use a spell or something. And yet this only makes the game seem more realistic in a way. Also, the magic system is nice and easy, too.

And yet, there are quite a few things wrong, now that I think about it. You cannot change your party, ever. Also, there is no way to pick what spells someone learns in what order at what level. Yet this is a simple, not complex system that involves no choice. So you should never have to ask yourself: ''Should I teach Cecil Cure4 or White? Nuke or Stone? Meteo or Piggy?'' In a way, the lack of choice makes the game simpler and less of a headache.

Also a flaw is the fact that this game is very linear. You must always do this after this. Also, few side quests are really worth doing. The Excalibur Sword is a short quest, but the Crystal Sword, found in the last dungeon, is FAR better. Most side quests are obsolete anyway, so really the only smart thing to do is continue with the plot.

So why such a high grade? Because it is so simple. Side quests are very useless, thus making the game simple and very easy. Most side quests are more frustrating than rewarding. Thus simplicity rules.

Replay – (10/10)
The thrills of this VERY EASY game will keep you coming back for more. Heck, I still haven’t gotten all of the secrets, not even Meteo. Oh well.

Personal Tilt – (20/0)
I love this game and everything about it. It just rocks.

Pros:
-Good graphics
-Awesome music
-Deep plot
-No head-spinning controls
-Many secrets
-Great replay value

Cons:
-Way too easy
-Terrible translation
-Overshadowed by FF III
-Hard to find

Overall – (96/100)

Buy or Rent:
If you are a fan of RPGs, I suggest renting it first. For anyone who wants to try RPGs for the first time, BUY BUY BUY!

Last Word: A great, yet extremely easy RPG experience. Definitely worth the $15 or so if you buy it used. Also, it is about as addictive as the pot used by the programmers that made FF VIII… the downfall of Final Fantasy. But who cares? Still me.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/28/03