Review by BrakZero

"Good for beginners, but experts should stay away"

I have always been a big fan of the Final Fantasy series, and I’ve played almost every single one, including Final Fantasy IX. But I didn’t play this game until recently. I borrowed it from someone who had it. And I was surprised. Well, it turns out that while this game is perfect for RPG rookies, it’s not that great for veterans.

The graphics weren’t terrible… but they weren’t great, either. They look kind of like Final Fantasy II/IV’s graphics, maybe just a tad better. The enemies, especially the bosses, looked pretty good, but the character sprites didn’t look so great. The terrain wasn’t too stunning either, but I won’t weigh it down since this game cam out at about the second year the Super Nintendo was out.

The music in this game was very good. I loved the battle theme, the boss theme was awesome, and all of the songs were varied and fit very well with the surroundings. And as for the sound, I’d also have to say that it’s pretty good. The bombs exploding sounded nice, the ax chopping a tree was good, and most of the other things were good, although sometimes not too realistic. But overall, it’s pretty good.

The story in this game is simple, but a huge letdown for longtime role playing fans, which again brings me to saying that this is a beginners RPG. You are some boy (you get to choose your own name) who is the chosen one. (?) He has to save the crystals to keep the Earth from rotting. Oooh. It may sound like Final Fantasy IV and V, but those games had MUCH more twists to make it more enjoyable.

And now for the gameplay. The battles are soooo boring. You can attack, cast a spell, use an item, or run. It’s so simple, perfect for rookies. Only two characters in your party, you always end up relying on the other guy, and you usually get their weapon. The battles aren’t real time, so players have all the time in the world to pick out what they are going to do. This was made like this so that rookies can figure out what works best and make their decisions. I HATE that. It’s so terrible, boring, and makes you want to fall asleep. And to encounter an enemy, you see it just standing there like some idiot, and you have to walk up to them and face them. I really prefer random battles, or it would be MUCH better if they moved. (Chrono Trigger, anyone?) But, [sigh] seeing this is a stupid beginner RPG, they purposely made it like that.

And AlexB finally says…
If you actually are a rookie to RPGs, ignore all those bad things I said. The game is totally meant for beginners, with easy and simple battles, simple storyline, the ability to save anywhere, and the fact that you can never die. I have never seen a better game for rookies. I simply game it a 5 because I am not a rookie, so it took away a lot of fun. So, if you are a beginner, get this game NOW, but if you are a veteran, you should stay away.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 01/16/01, Updated 02/22/01