Review by AndrewP2003

"RPG Kindergarten is in session!"

I believe that every game has a purpose and that that game should be judged by how well it fulfills that purpose. Therefore, I don’t feel it’s fair to rate this game on the same level as other Squaresoft RPG masterpieces. This game was not supposed to be of that caliber. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is an introductory RPG for those new to the RPG genre. Naturally you don't want to throw RPG newbies into the middle of Final Fantasy 6 just like you don't make elementary schoolers do Calculus. I'm glad this game exists because I think that it successfully provides an easy into the world of RPGs.

Bright, clean, attractive graphics are the second best thing about this game. The battle backgrounds, dungeons, and enemies therein look great! It's also very easy to depict the progress of your game due to the constantly changing look of the overworld map and the towns.

Play Control: 7/10

Okay, I guess. I don’t know but something about it just bugs me. When you’re walking around in dungeons and you change directions, it almost feels like there’s a pause. Hmmm. Also, during battle, your characters will automatically select the last attack they used. Handy, maybe. But not all RPGs do that and I think that this is a bad lesson to teach RPG newbies.

Music and Sound: 10/10

Oh yes! Crank those battle themes! Nothing makes me want to kick enemy butt more than rockin’ fight music, and with FFMQ, you get it! Also, the slower stuff is just magnificently beautiful. This time around, Nobuo Uematsu (the genius behind the Final Fantasy music scores) did not do the soundtrack. However, with the exception of the repetitive overworld theme, the music of Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is one thing you will definitely still remember many years down the road. Especially the sacred Doom Castle theme which exists on a level far above all other music ever created. The sounds effects are good, too. Just thought I’d mention that.

Story / Idea: 7/10

I’ll give it this; it’s easy to follow. Not exceptionally interesting, not too complicated, not too exciting. Young boy is the chosen one to save the world from impending doom and great evil at the hand of the cliched earth, fire, wind, and water elements. But the main idea behind the game, to teach RPG newbies, is really quite innovative. Almost like Cliff Notes for Final Fantasy.

Replay: 4/10

You might play this game again if you need something to amuse you for a day or if you want to hear that awesome music, but that’s about it. You can’t get it new anymore, and finding it used might be a challenge. It’s interesting that this game was not created to be a masterpiece, yet it manages to fetch a hefty price if you buy it used with the manual and map. It’s more than likely a collector’s item due to it being made by Squaresoft.

I like this game. Yes, “like” as in the present tense. I was a Final Fantasy buff long before this game came out and I welcomed it into the Final Fantasy family, not as much for the actual game but as for the idea behind it; it provides an introduction for those looking to enter into the world of RPGs.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 04/23/01, Updated 04/23/01