Question from FFFChrisCXIII

Version #?

Is there any way to check (or know) the version number on my cartridge? I know the Sketch glitch was a huge issue in 1.0 and in 1.1 it was fixed, and I'd really l like to use Sketch without the fear of it corrupting my data.

Imzogelmo answered:

Also, for all you ever wanted to know about that bug, see ZED's page: masterzed.cavesofnarshe.com/GameDocs/ff3sktch.txt
2 0

Answers

maiorano84 answered:

The sketch bug only applies to sketching Gau on the Veldt just before he rejoins your party, and the Intangir monster in the World Of Balance, so if you plan on using the sketch command as the game intended, then you shouldn't run into any issues with your game data.

To fully answer your question, there's not any set way to check the cartridge's version number aside from attempting the sketch bug and seeing what happens, or testing out Game Genie codes intended for various game versions and seeing which ones work. So no, you can't really check the physical cartridge for a version number, but you shouldn't be too worried about corrupting your save data either.
2 1

Imzogelmo answered:

That's not exactly true; the Sketch bug occurs when a Sketch attempt misses (for whatever reason-- it could be just the regular hit% miss, or if the monster is invisible (auto-miss), or is Gau (auto-miss)). Anyway, there is no way to tell if you have 1.1 or 1.0 without either trying to cause the Sketch bug (which you don't want to do, as you've stated), backing up the game and opening it in an emulator (which it is unlikely that you have a backup device), or... and this just occurred to me... using a Game Genie code to distinguish between them somehow. I'm not sure if you have a Game Genie on hand, and even if you do, I don't have a ready-made code to give you, but if that's a possibility, let me know, and I can see about generating a code to tell the difference.
1 0