Review by ShadowACS

"An epic adventure, and a worthy addition to a great game series."

Remember back when RPG's were not only plentiful, but amazingly good as well? You know, back when we got classics like FF6? Final Fantasy, ironically, has so many games now that they're going to have to make the cartridges bigger to fit all the roman numerals on them. But back when there were only six games (three in America), this was undeniably the best. Heck, this is the best RPG I have ever played, and I've played every famous one on Super Nintendo to be released in America (with the exception of Earthbound). This one, however, takes the cake.

So…onward to adventure!

Story:

One of the beauties of Final Fantasy 6 is that there's no real main character. The back story involves a powerful force called Magic that caused a war 1000 years ago between Espers, magical beings, and humans who tried to abuse them to get powerful. A thousand years later, an Empire is trying to harness magic once again to control the world, led by the tyrant emperor Gestahl.

I won't spoil what happens in the game for you, but I will say that it's an amazingly complex and epic storyline, and you could easily make a movie out of it. The characters are all surprisingly realistic, the settings are detailed, and it all molds together to make one of the best plots for an RPG ever.

Graphics:

The graphics for this game are incredible for 16-bit, and give the feeling that you're really there. Each setting is very well-designed. The old industrial towns make you feel like you're in the 1800's, and the overworld does its job very well. You really feel like a traveler, and the dark and eerie parts are actually really spooky. The graphics couldn't have been done better.

Audio/Soundtrack:

Oh. My. GOD. This is an AMAZING soundtrack. The music is classic Final Fantasy goodness, from the menu screen to the main theme to even the Chocobo riding theme. How can you NOT love this stuff? It just reeks of the game series, a perfect example to pick to represent the concept of Final Fantasy.

As for the sound effects, I have no complaints. The slashing sounds when you hit an enemy, the bomb-blast sound when they disintegrate, it just defines the Super Nintendo. While there aren't that many sound effects, the ones that the game does have are great. I especially like Kefka's evil laugh, which is done verbally. (If you don't know who Kefka is, I won't spoil it.)

Overall, the soundtrack is perfect, and is worth a download if you can find it.

Controls:

Okay, it's an RPG, so it's kinda difficult to have bad controls, but seriously, would you expect them to be bad on a Final Fantasy game? No. X opens the menu, A talks to people and picks up items, B for selecting things in battles, it's all very simple and easy to follow.

Gameplay:

This is some of the most fun I've ever had playing a video game. The ranges of enemies, the epic storyline, and of course, the opera scene, are all totally enthralling. You feel the character's emotions like you were watching a movie while simultaneously kicking arse with them. It's like a movie, but you're actually in the movie as the characters. I wish I could give this above a 10. I really do.

Verdict:
Audio: 10/10
Controls: 10/10
Verdict: 10/10

What am I supposed to say? That Final Fantasy sucks? If you have played this game and don't like it, go back to Mars. This is one of the best, if not THE best, RPG's ever made. Thank you, Square, for giving us this masterpiece.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/05/10

Game Release: Final Fantasy III (US, 10/20/94)