Review by theking375

"Near Perfection"

Ok, let's get down to it. I enjoyed this game and was able to play it from beginning to end without many problems, mainly getting stuck too much.

The graphics are excellent imo. I can't really say anything bad about them, top notch for the time that the game was released. I liked that there was a different look for the weapons when they were changed.

The sound and music is also excellent with some of the greatest rpg music of all time. Couldn't find a song in it that I didn't like. Sound effects were great too.

Some people complain about the story, but I think it was well done and fairly original, though I will agree that it was better in the first half of the game where you are in the world of balance, whereby there were more plot twists.

The controls were pretty much perfect as far as I can tell. Everything responds well.

The magic was great in this game also, I especially liked the scan spell which allows you to detect enemy weaknesses. I have heard complaints that everyone is too powerful with magic at the end of the game, but I didn't find that to be the case at all. It depends on how you build your characters with the Espers, as some increase strength, some increase defense, some increase magic, some increase magic defense upon leveling up, so you just have to be careful how you build your character, depending on whether they're a mage or a fighter. I didn't find that I had all the spells for all my characters by the time I reached the end of the game, and I will admit that I did some grinding towards the end to build them up, which was probably unnecessary.

The time of the game is not too long or too short, just about right for an rpg, should take about 30-35 hours to complete without grinding, though there are people who claim to beat the game in 10 hours or so and without using weapons or armor. Crazy, I ain't tryin that.

Overall this is one of my favorite SNES games of all time and I would recommend it to anyone, especially if you are a fan of rpgs.

I give this game a 9 out of 10, because the story lacks in the second half as I mentioned above. Can't really find anything else wrong with it though.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/11/12

Game Release: Final Fantasy III (US, 10/20/94)