Review by Psycho Penguin

"On the sixth day, God created Final Fantasy VI"

Thanks to everyone who emailed me praising me for giving the game the title of ''best game ever'' While there are still some of you out there who don’t like this game that much (Sunshine), I still think it is the greatest game of all time. While Final Fantasy 7 dealt with a stupid story line and a somewhat confusing and complicated materia system, Final Fantasy 3 had the best story line ever and some of the coolest things to come from a RPG.

Overall, the game is better than even Chrono Trigger and Xenogears, and far better than that Zelda 64. Final Fantasy 7 was good, but once I beat it, I had little interest in playing it again. I did not care for the characters (especially Cloud), while I worried about what happened to the characters in FF6/FF3. This is why Final Fantasy 3 is the greatest game ever. While it does have its flaws (What game doesn't?), it is still my favorite game. It is my favorite game for a few reasons, one of them is the fact that the story line is so awesome, but that is not the main reason.

The thing I like most about this game is not the fact that the game has the best story line ever featured in a role playing game, nor the fact that this is one of the best looking games to ever be released for the Super Nintendo as a video game console. No, the simple fact that this game is so much fun to play is the reason why I consider this to be one of the best games on the Super Nintendo, as well as one of the greatest role playing games ever made. The game play really is that awesome. This is truly one of the greatest games I have ever played, bar none.

The story line in this game is unreal. You start off the game as terra, a former member of the empire who was under control by Kefka (the main enemy) by wearing a slave crown. Then she fights an esper and is transformed into some weird thing, and the adventure begins! Over the course of the game, you will find out about each individual character's history, including Cyan's dealing with his family's death, and Sabin and Edgar's little feud about why Sabin chose to do what he did (you'll have to find out for yourself). Unlike Final Fantasy 7's story line, which although I beat twice I have yet to understand, Final Fantasy 6’s story line is easy to understand. This is truly the pinnacle of RPG story lines.

The story line in the game is so great, and easy to get into, that it is a shame that not many people will consider this game based on the console it is on alone. I mean, this story line is the greatest ever to be featured in any video game, so I hope more people experience this game. It will instantly draw you into a world of greed and character development, as you watch each character evolve before your very eyes. Will Locke finally get the courage to ask Celes out? The game takes you through each emotion he is feeling, which is truly a great thing. I really enjoyed reading the story line in this game.

The graphics in this game are in my opinion better than Final Fantasy 7's, considering the platforms they are on. Everything in this game is screaming with graphical detail. My minor complaint is the characters are too small. Or maybe the backgrounds were just too big. Seriously, I have to point out the fact that while the characters are larger than they are in the other games in the series, they still are kind of short, especially when walking around on the world map. This is just a minor compliant, however. Overall, I like Chrono Trigger’s graphics better, but who cares? I have no complaints here.

The background designs in the game are truly awesome, and is yet another reason why I feel that this is one of the best looking games, if not the best looking game, to ever be released on the Super Nintendo. The background designs are very well detailed and very varied. I especially liked the graphics in the towns, as everything is detailed so effectively, it’s scary. Like the buildings, which have peeling paint, for example. The attention to detail in the game is truly fantastic. Then there are the forests, with the reflections off the lakes, I really cannot describe to you how good the background designs in the game really are. Take my word on it that they are awesome, though.

The character and enemy designs in the game are fantastic, as well. I really liked the character designs in the game. I already mentioned how I felt about the size of them, so I will not bother to bring that up again. Instead, I will now tell you how much I liked the character designs in the game. I think that the character designer in the game did an outstanding job of designing the characters in the game. This is truly the pinnacle of character designs on the Super Nintendo, yes they are even better than the almighty Chrono Trigger.

On the other side of the coin, there are also enemy designs to be discussed. The enemy designs in the game are simply awesome, as well. I really liked a majority of the enemy designs in the game, and I felt that they were all very well detailed and very varied. I also liked the boss designs in the game a lot, especially the octopus Ultros and the big dude Vargas. The battle graphics were awesome, and the animation was well done, and the character and enemy designs just added icing on an already delicious cake.

Please someone please get me the soundtrack to this game!!!! The music in this game is fantastic, with excellent sound effects rounding up the score. Each character each has their own unique theme song, and each is great. The music in each event is well done as well and captures the pace and the emotion that the event is trying to convey, which is unlike the previous games in the series. Also, unlike the previous games in the series, the same music doesn't repeat itself (unless they are showing an event with a certain character and they play his theme music). This is truly the best soundtrack ever in a video game.

The music in the game was really awesome, and I would sell my left foot to get a copy of the soundtrack (well, not really) but I do have to mention something I didn’t like *gasp* about the music in this game. Quite frankly, I was disappointed to hear upon completing my first battle that Square Soft totally redid the battle and victory themes. There is nothing wrong with this, until you consider the fact that I soon got annoyed by the battle theme. It was okay but it did get annoying after a while. On the flip side, I really liked the boss theme, and especially Atma Weapon’s Floating Island boss theme.

Control in this game is perfect. Excellent control all around, and the control also makes good use of the L and R buttons too! One flaw I have to point out about the control is that your character walks very slowly until they get the sprint shoes equipped. Also, your character cannot walk diagonally, which will lead to certain complaints. You will never be able to walk at the exact speed and direction that you want to, so you are just going to have to deal with that.

The game play is also outstanding. Learning magic in this game is a breeze. To learn magic, you must equip an esper. Each esper's magic has a different ''learning-rate''. The learning rate basically means that when you gain magic points after a battle, you multiply the magic points gained times the learning rate of the magic. Also, as an added bonus, each esper has a ''Level-up bonus'' Basically, all it means is that when you level up, whatever esper you have equipped ''level-up bonus'' is enforced. So if you gain a level with the Bahamut (HP plus 50%) esper equipped, you will gain 50% more HP than you normally would had you not equipped it. This is truly an outstanding concept.

The battle system in the game is awesome, as well, although not up to the innovation that the esper magic system provided. The battles are turn based, enemies usually appear on the left side, characters usually appear on the right side, as always. The thing I like so much about the game is the amount of different stuff you can do in this game when it comes to battles. You can equip certain items and weapons which allow you to do more damage, which adds strategy to the game. Another game play element that adds a strategy element to the game is the fact that each character has their own special attacks.

How could the fact that each character has their own special attacks during battle lead to an element of strategy? Well, the answer is simple. Each character has their own ability, which means you may want to use certain abilities during certain battles. Therefore, you need to make sure you bring the right characters along at all times. Sometimes you don’t have a choice but when you do you want to make sure you have the right characters along. For instance, if you want to steal an item from a boss you want to bring Locke along, since he is the only character that can steal items from enemies.

The only flaw is your character's walking speed without the sprint shoes equipped (be prepared to spend a lot of time walking putt-putt until you have the sprint shoes quipped). Otherwise, the game features outstanding game play.

You will want to play this game a lot once you get it, trust me on this one. The simple fact that this game is so much fun to play would lead to great replay value alone, but you also have to consider the fact the amount of secrets featured in the game. Once you combine those two facts, you will realize that this game has truly outstanding replay value. I couldn’t put this game down for weeks once I started playing it. It truly is an awesome game with great and addictive game play.

I wish I could say that this is one of the most challenging role playing games I have ever played, but I can not say that, sadly. The simple fact it, this game is not as challenging as I would have expected. I only got game over about 5 or 6 times the first time through. Compare that to the 16 or 18 times I got in FF8, and you can see why I don’t consider this game to be that challenging. It is long and lengthy, but not challenging. It is the sad truth.

This game was truly made by someone of a higher power. It's that good. Sure it is expensive (50-60 dollars) but hell, its worth it. Trust me, if you've never played Final Fantasy 3, you've never played the best game ever created. Final Fantasy 7 and 8 doesn't even come close. The only games that come close are Chrono Trigger, Final fantasy 5, and Star Ocean 2. Buy this game now! Buy a Super Nintendo also, it is worth it to play a game like this.

And that's the bottom line, because DaLadiesMan said so!!!

Good Points
-The story line in the game is truly remarkable.
-Hell, almost everything about this game reeks of awesomeness.

Not So Good Points
-The problem with the character speed and movement is not a good thing.
-This is, sadly, not that challenging of a game.
-The game could get tedious for some to play after a while.

I Run Down the Ratings… DaLadiesMan Style!
Storyline – 10/10 PERFECTION!
Graphics – 9.7/10
Music – 10/10 PERFECTION!
Sound Effects – 9.6/10
Control – 9.2/10
Gameplay – 9.8/10
Replay Value – Above Average
Challenge – Average
Is this game worth a purchase? – Definitely!
Overall – 9.7/10

The Last Line: The game may have its flaws, but what game doesn’t? And this is my all time favorite game, so you know it’s good. Make sure to get the Super Nintendo version, not the crummy Playstation version.

Why do I like Final Fantasy 3 better than FF7?
First off, the story line in Final Fantasy 7 was TERRIBLE. I had no clue as to what was going on half the time, nor did I care about what happened to the characters in the game. While FF7 featured the worst characters ever to grace the series (I hated Cloud and Barrett), FF6 had some awesome characters each with their unique abilities and personal problems. For instance, Terra was dealing with being half esper and half human, and throughout the game she had to deal with this problem that has haunted her throughout her life. In contrast, I could care less about Cloud and his stupid problems with Sephiroth.

While it was cool to see Cloud give Sephiroth the Black Materia, the story line quickly got old by the second disc (just like the story line gets old in WCW :) Also, in Final Fantasy 7 ANYBODY can steal (as long as they equip the Steal Materia), which sucks because the fun of FF6 was having the right party available at all times (for instance do you want Locke's stealing ability or Celes's runic ability?) Also, the music in Final Fantasy 6 is FANTASTIC!!!! Talk about Wonderful music (which my main man Sunshine cares a lot about), FF6 has great music!!! The airship theme is catchy and great overall, and each music piece in each part of the game is unique and great.

It definitely has the best music ever. FF7 also had great music but the music in some places was very annoying and didn't sound good at all. Also, Final Fantasy 7 seemed to care more about graphics and FMV scenes while FF6 dealt with the two most important aspects of any RPG: story line and game play. While I love Final Fantasy 7 (even with all of its flaws), it still cannot match the power that is FF6. I personally think that FF7 was overrated and is not the greatest RPG ever. FF7 is still one of my 10 favorite games of all time, but FF6 is at the top of that list. That is why FF6 is better than FF7.

What are the flaws in this game?
Of course, like every other game, FF6 does have its flaws, albeit minor. For one, your characters walk hideously slow until you get the sprint shoes equipped. That is a problem in the early going, since you can't purchase the sprint shoes until you get to South Figaro (about an hour into the game). This does not affect your walking speed on the world map, but does effect your walking speed when walking in a town, cave, dungeon, anything not related to the world map directly.

Another flaw is that some of the characters are not that great. While FF6 does have the best characters overall in a video game; Umaro, Strago and Relm are not that great of characters in my opinion. I mean, I think Square Soft spent too much time worrying about developing the other characters, while forgetting about some of the other lesser characters in the game. Strago and Relm have their own story line, and they develop fairly well as characters, but unlike the rest of the game I just didn’t care. Despite these flaws, FF6 is still the greatest game ever.

Is the game too big?
One of the biggest complaints in Sunshine's review is that the game is too big. No, it is not. The game could probably fit into one CD (actually it can because Square Soft already released it for PSX). There are two worlds that you must defeat, the World of Balance and the World of Ruin. And for all those complaining about the Fanatics Tower and Phoenix Cave, just remember that YOU DON'T HAVE TO TRAVEL THROUGH THEM!!! It is OPTIONAL!!! After getting your airship back, you can go straight to Kefka's tower. While it is great to get the Phoenix Espers and all of the extra secrets, you don't have to. So don't complain about FF6 being too big, because FF7, Zelda 64, FF8, and Xenogears are all bigger than FF6.

Why is Kefka so easy?
I have no clue. After all, Kefka is a bad guy, and for being the final boss he sure is easy. I have never had a problem beating him. Now, about the three bosses leading up to him....

Should I buy the Super NES version?
This is a very difficult question. Unless you don't have a Playstation, you should probably get the Super NES version. The major difference is price. FF6 for the Anthology cost only 40 bucks (and it comes with the second greatest RPG ever, FF5!!!!!) The only problem with the PSX version is the long loading times. Just realize that you can get FF5 and FF6 for PSX less than you can get FF3 for the Super NES.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/11/00, Updated 07/16/01