Review by AKMoose

"My favorite game, hands down!"

I've been reading over some of the Reader Reviews here, and I've been thinking "Hey, I can do this too." So I've decided to start with my favorite game, Final Fantasy VI, 3 in the US, of course. I was in third grade when I first played the game. My best friend and I, after conquering FFIV, were looking for a new challenge. We didn't make the mistake of renting this one first. (More on that in the FF2 review when I get around to writing it.) From the opening scene with the Magitek Armor trudging through the snow I was hooked.

Graphics: 9 out of 10. I thought the graphics on this game were great. The characters looked good, and had some funny little actions throughout the game. The monsters, bosses, and espers looked good too. The towns and caves were great also. A point off for the world map, though.

Sound: 10 out of 10. I didn't know who the heck Nobuo Uemastu was until a few years after I first played the game, but I remember my friend and I holding a tape recorder up to the TV to record songs off the game. The songs (such as Shadow's theme, Zozo, etc... still get stuck in my head to this day. True, there are a few songs that aren't very good, but they are far outweighed by the good ones. The sound effects are good, too.

Story: 10 out of 10. One of the major reasons it's my favorite game. You start out as Terra, who has little memory of what she's been through in her iife. You start out as her, Wedge, and Vicks trudging through Narshe in your Magitek. By the time the game's over, you've had death, betrayal, love, destruction, etc. Not to mention all the optional things you can find. This is an excellent story, full of twists and turns. And there's not even a main character!

Control/Gameplay: 10 out of 10. Once you get the swing of the controls you'll have no problem doing what you need to do. From whizzing around the world in the airship to fighting monsters to walking (or running if you've got Sprint Shoes) through town, nothing's really hard. And the game is FUN FUN FUN! You get to ride mine carts, fly airships and Chocobos, battle all kinds of monsters, fight in a Colliseum, seek out hidden items, etc. I like the Esper system, it's not too powerful because you can only summon as Esper once a turn. And everyone being able to learn magic helps. The special abilites are great. You've got to level up to get some (Blitzes), collect items for other (Tools), and fight certain monsters for others (Rages and Lores.)

Replay Value: 10 out of 10. Like any good RPG, you're going to want to play through it more than once to get what you've missed. Things like what you say during dinner with Emporer Gesthal getting you more items, you can get valuable things earlier on, plus since you've already been through it once you know what you're doing and don't end up pulling out your hair figuring anything out. As someone else pointed out, nearly everything in the World Of Ruin is optional, so you can have a good time messing around, retrieving party members, collecting espers, fighting in the Colliseum, collecting Lores and Rages, etc. The game NEVER gets old.

Overall Score: 9.8, rounds to 10.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 02/20/03